1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old Toro Hyd. System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by h20 guy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. h20 guy

h20 guy LawnSite Member

Condo Assoc. next to a couple other Condos I maintain want me to take over their system also. The system is a old Hyd. system of which I would readily admit I am a little "Vague" on the Knowledge side of these. My supplier says I should "Run" and not look back! Trouble is that I'm always intrigued to learn about something and maybe a little "Trial and Error" on the system can't hurt. Would appreciate any knowledge on old Toro Hyd. Systems. Thanks
  2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I still service a few hydraulic systems and they are quite dependable.
    You need a clean water source for the supply line and make sure the filter is in place and in good condition.
    I don't think Toro makes hydraulic controllers anymore but they have a hydraulic converter that can be hooked up to any electric controller. You can still get the tubing, fittings, retainers and filters to repair it.
  3. johnnyaqua

johnnyaqua LawnSite Member

You can revamp the system to electric. Change the hydraulic valves and controller with wire and digital controller and you are set.Make sure you know where all the hydraulic valves are before you bid it.
  4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

We used to service a condo complex on 16 mile & garfield that had an old hyd system. Basically how they work is the controller is always supplying the valve with water through the small tubing, when the controller gets to the station on a cycle it releases water which activates the valve.

Basically with electric valves they are considered "normally closed" and are turned on when they are activated through the solenoid when the timer activates, it's the opposite with a hydraulic system as the valves are "normally open" and are closed by the pressure of the water from the controller.

Good luck, and I mean it !!
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Smaller hydraulic systems can use valves of a normally-closed type. Toro made both styles. Large systems almost always were using normally-closed valves, since they don't have have the limitations on the control tubing length that the normally-closed hydraulic valves did. (the Toro NC hydraulic valves also were called 'pin type' and the controllers that operated them did not need a connection to a water supply)

As long as you are getting time and material, enjoy the learning experience.
  6. irritation

The valves are usually very hard to find, Most I've worked on have a 3" pvc pipe over them with a black plastic Toro cap on top but are buried a couple inches deep. They can be tricky to winterize too.
  7. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

Here's a residential timer re-vamp for a hyd system. Only problem is if the valves ever fail, which they will, I can't track them. They are buried way underground and I have only found 1 out of 4.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be doing some research concerning water witchers. Nice clean retro!:)
  9. Better to put the conversion solenoids in the ground in a 10" valve box and run wire to the contoller.
  10. irritation

Unfortunately, mice like to chew on the tubing and sometimes aboveground and protected is the better choice.