Old tractor

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TURFLORD, Aug 14, 2005.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old 1966 Ford 4500 w/ 753 hoe and 1 ton bucket. This thing is older than me. It runs and operates good but could use some tweeking. I am led to believe this machine is the first true "Backhoe", pardon the misnomer. The cab,loader, and hoe were all options back in the day. The machine has a 3-point hitch buried behind the hoe end. Can anybody provide more knowledge or history of these tractors?

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I don't know if I can help you out or not, but I just picked up one a few months ago. The deal was so good, I just couldn't pass it up. I also got three 3 ring binders (original) factory repair manuals. I have recently thought about getting rid of it since I don't have a way to transport it. I was surprised at how much they still bring.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Post a pic if you can :blob3: Sounds like a neat piece of history you got there.
  4. git er done landscaping

git er done landscaping LawnSite Member

Aaaand bump.
  6. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

check out ytmag.com, go to the ford discussion board in particular

You don't mention if it's gas or diesel, there were both available. I've drove lots of them, my grandfather was a Ford tractor dealer at that time, he still has a bunch of them. I haven't done a lot of work on them in particular, I do remember changing a water pump on one of the gas ones, what a job that was.

I'll check that out. :waving: 3 cyl diesel btw. I was hoping more "veterans" were out there with some info. A local dealer can help with manuals but I have to look through them and match up pictures. There were so many different models and options. The hoe, bucket, and chassis all have different serial #'s.