Old train rails

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Baseballer1100, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

I need to remove some old train rails form a company im doing landscaping for. Can you get any money from old train rails at a scarpyard has anyone had any experience with this?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Sure you can. Lots of weight in railroad iron. You will need a skidsteer or bigger loader or crane to move them with ,if they are very long sections.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Baseballer

You might even try selling them in the Newspaper ad or take them to a welder-fabricator. They are in demand for making certain items. One very good use for them is to make small anvils.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have an 8" section I use as an anvil....

5. blkberry

blkberry LawnSite Member

You will need a cutting torch or a plasma cutter. Plus tractor with a back hoe.

6. Baseballer1100

How much will a backhoe set you back to rent and a plasma cutter? ANd how should i go about getting some money for these? Do i have to contact anyone before i remove them?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BaseBaller

An afternoon on the phone might be profitable. Don't forget the Cross-ties if they are in good shape. Cross ties are used in landscape more than the Iron. I am sure you could sell the Iron for more than scrap value if you find the right buyer.

One advantage Some of us might have is our own Skid Steers or tractors that could handle the weight of the Iron Rails. If this is your case, then to store then until you could find a buyer might be a way to go.

8. Baseballer1100

What people should i call?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BaseBall

Try Welders and metal fabricators. Another use for RR Iron is weight on the back bumper of a truck for winter snow and ice driving. The very weight and strength of RR iron makes it an excellent building material for those special applications.

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Use it to make better bumpers for your mowers, ones that CANT be bent. cutting it shouldnt be too hard, just use a BIG cutoff saw, or the plasma cutter as someone else said. If I had to use a cutoff saw, I'd get a TS 760, or the Husqvarna 3120K model, either one is powerful, so it shouldnt have any problem if you're using a good diamond wheel to cut with.