1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Old Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fga, Dec 2, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Any of you guys use older trucks, like early 80's or older? I bought a 84 dodge dump off my buddy, cuz i knew it ran good. I'd just feel alot better if I heard stories of guys with trucks similar to mine. Someday new truck.....for now this is it!
  2. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a 73 F350 a work truck just about done working. I also have a 91 F250 we use this one the most.
  3. lawn dawg

lawn dawg LawnSite Member

My work truck is a 1968 Ford F250. 74m miles so far. Other than replacing the cab mounts and fixing some rust areas, not a bad truck for a few more years.
    Wish it had some a/c during the summer. :cry:
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I ran a 78, F350 with a utility body for one year. Also had a 2 ton, 79, Chevy dump truck. I found that those old trucks with gas engines just suck gasoline. Now I only run diesels. My oldest work truck is a 96 ford F250, Powerstroke pickup, with 235,000 miles. Runs great and does not use much fuel. :)
  5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

78 f-150. Use it everyday for work and personal use. She does suck down some gas though.

equipment pics 010.jpg
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Adam-nice truck. We have a 85 Ford dump w/ 64k on it,Great truck, and it currently has a 6.6'x8' leaf box on board.Our plow truck is a 82 F250 w/ 73k original miles.It's under primer waiting to be painted.Our maint. truck is a 92 s-10 .Gets great gas mileage over the larger trucks.If you keep em clean and maintained, I don't see the need for four new trucks every two years.My last new truck was a 99.No car payments = more profit. If something does happen to one of our trucks, we still have three more on the road.Repairs are cheaper than $600.00 payments. When I truly need a new one. I'll get it, but the wife's new Explorer is next :D
  7. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I've been using an 85 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. Has been great except the engine went up in September. A friend who is an engine mechanic just installed a used 350 in it though and now it runs great again. But, I just bought a 2000 Silverado so I'm selling the GMC if anyone is interested. No rust, new brakes, good engine, good tranny.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks IMPACT,

I use my 86 pick up everyday too, for work and to get around in when i don't feel like squeezing into my wife's dodge neon! Keep'em running guys, low overhead= higher profits.
  9. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

We also have 2 fords 88-89 that we use.
  10. JohnyNCa

JohnyNCa LawnSite Member

I have a Dodge Ram 88', was gonna sell it but decided to hold on that baby. Man its a gas guzzler but sure is a tough son of a gun. Keep the old trucks, save some $$$. Later