1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Old wasp nest?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowtown Mike, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I cut down a wasp nest at my parents house the other day. My Dad told me to destory the nest, but I want to keep it for a souviner. I think it is amazing how mother nature works. My Dad is afraid of wasp eggs will hatch soon or sleeping wasps will awaken with the spring warmth.

My question is, can I keep the nest and spray it with bee killer or just throw it away? There is some damage to the hive from birds eating at the nest. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mowtown Mike

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Just spray it. I have a half dozen wasp nests of various sorts in my 'natural history' guestroom - never any problems - and they've been there for years.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've also heard of some people who use a clear spray enamel or even hair spray to help preserve them.

4. Lawn-Guy

Lawn-Guy LawnSite Member

you ca use a spray shelack or a aerosal clear coat

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

OK, not clear enough - spray it withe WASP KILLER before you spray it with anything else. Actually, the 'anything else' is unnecessary and makes it look fake.

6. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

no thanks been stung to many times when i was really young

7. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds cool. I'd love to see a pic.

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

nests alive or dead give me the creeps.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I collected wasp nests as a kid...and I fortunately put a LID on the large jar I stored them in. I remember I dang near dropped it when I was looking at them - and noticed at least a dozen wasps had emerged...and they wanted out in a bad way!

10. brink2012

brink2012 LawnSite Member

i agree .. very creepy!