Old wheel horse -24 onan not running?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Steve's Used Iron, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Steve's Used Iron

Steve's Used Iron LawnSite Member

I got this old 1994 Wheenhorse It is a great old machine. I tis old but for 6 weeks a year is all i need from it. It was runing great with the mulching plate and takes piles of leaves and turns them into dust !

My problem is that now it will run great cold snd runs for 15 minutes then ...putters and dies? I have run some AMSOIL POWER FOAM throught the carb but it will keep it running but not stay running?

I put a new fuel filter, air cleaner

ANY IDEAS ?

Vaccum leak ?

Thanks

Steve
    Email is steve@stevesusediron.com

:dizzy:

2. Steve's Used Iron

yea sorry, i should have proof read it ..sorry guys

Steve

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Two things that come to mind...

Some dirt making the floating bowl mechanism stick, I would check this out first.
    Ignition coil / module going bad, although on that old an engine it could be a points system, in that case they make DIY rebuild kits for it usually.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does it start right back up after shutting down or do you have to wait a little bit before it will re-start ?

5. Steve's Used Iron

Sometimes you have to wait and it will run for like 1 minute and other times it is dead for 15-20 minutes.

It has been at the Dealer since monday at 4...but they are telling mne that get it to rum more than 15min and they have Snow Plows to install ?? WTF !

6. Restrorob

Well,

You have to determine if it's shutting down from lack of spark or lack of fuel, I'm not sure what your dealers problem is but in that 15 minute run time I'd know where to go in repairing it......

7. Steve's Used Iron

Also, the dealer said that it might have jumped time ?

ok then why does it run great for 15 min ? now it will start to surge..then it dies but with the air cleaner off when it starts to surge i spray some AMSOIL POWER FOAM and it will run of that ?

part of me thinks it is a Vacuum leak ?? maybe i am wrong ....

Thanks,

Steve

8. Restrorob

Can you apply the choke and keep it running ?

BTW, You can drop the caps on your Amsoil crap.....I'm not buying it.

9. Steve's Used Iron

NO not trying to mean anything by it on the amsoil stuff.

yes it will chug and chug on FULL CHOKE to get it back to the trailer.

10. Restrorob

OK Steve,

You or somebody needs to check what I posted above "Plugged vent in the fuel cap or possibly a faulty fuel pump" ?

Without any engine numbers posted and being a 94 unit I'm assuming it's a performer series engine with the impulse pump on the flywheel cover, At any rate someone needs to check the fuel system while it's acting up.....