Old Woods ZTR worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dreman, May 3, 2005.

1. dreman

dreman LawnSite Member

I have an old Woods 1250 ZTR that I've been keeping going, but I think it may be starting to get the best of me. I think one of the hydraulic motors is out, since it only mows in a circle now! And it has started eating belts, so I think the deck needs a rebuild. The engine is fairly new and works well, although I don't remember what it is right now.

I do all my own work, so I don't even know where the nearest Woods dealer is. I managed to find another one for parts, but it's pretty much gone now. Any thoughts, opinions, etc. on whether or not this thing is worth any further trouble?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is an old Woods front deck, it was probably made by Grasshoper, and most likely has an older type Gemini drive system. The dirve unit for just one side can cost as much as $700 - $800. I would junk it.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They were not MADE by GH. They were copied from GH, and then later sued; just like Snapper and their frontmount! Just a friendly correction. :)

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Wrong, Grasshopper made them in the Grasshopper factory for many years. Then, Woods took the Grasshopper designs and tried to build the machines themselves. That is when the lawsuit happened. I should know, as I am a Grasshopper dealer.