Old(?) Worm Castings

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

In December, as I was investigating organic sources of supply for this spring, I came across a local lady that supplied worm castings. She had 2-30# bags at the time. Well I didn't need them in Dec., but I just e-mailed her today to see if she had any more product. She went out and looked and found 8-30# bags - she says that they're not 30# anymore because they've dried out a little.

I plan on mixing the worn poo with leaf compost and applying as a top dressing.

Is this worm poo still good as an organic fert.? Am I going to get the biological benefit ?

Any help would be appreciated, Pistol

2. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have thrown out dried and hard vermicompost on yards many times and have had the grass just splurge on the stuff. I guessing that the herd is still there just dormant until it gets warm and water.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

By all means, use it. I have clients who buy castings from us by the tons.Some of it sits around for months, even in the heat of the summer in plastic bags out in the sun. They use it and still get results. I'm not saying it doesn't degrade over time, but it certainly is not useless. Mixed with leaf compost it should perform very well for you.

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider them "old" worm castings. Buy them and spread away.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Was she offering a discount? :clapping::clapping::clapping:

6. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

No discount - 30# bag for $20. Don't know if that's a good price or not - not a lot to base it off. I plan on 10#/1000 sft.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

GET A DEAL OUT OF HER YOU R BUYING IN BULK LOL
    ask her what she feeds the worms?

8. TF PLUS

TF PLUS LawnSite Member

Pistol,
    I paid 16$ per 40# bag delivered (2 tons). These were screened out to be pure worm casts not just vermicompost.
    PM me and I can give you a distributor in your state that has pure casts.

I am hoping to be able to hook up with TG1 to start producing my own.
    Mainly to use for tea brewing.

The biological benefit of bag casts verse just produced casts would be interesting information.

As far as lawn green up after rainy season ended, I experienced improved green up when over 40# of casts per K with a grain were applied.
    During the rainy period mixing 15 to 20 pounds of a grain with 12 to 17 pounds of pure casts per K, greened up nicely.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I can deliver pure screened worm castings to FL for $12.30 per 40# bag by the pallet. NC is $10.95 per 40# bag by the pallet.

As a lawnsite sponsor, please check our website and call us to see if we can help you find products.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I need 100 pallets shipped to CA ASAP. ;)