old yard want new look

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by robbo521, Dec 28, 2006.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

ok my yard has it all in it.in-laws have some sod they said i can have.i plan on starting the sod next to the house and work my way out.would you spray whats there now and kill it or just put sod over it.the yard is 1 acer and was a cow field 14 years ago.most of the time i just put grass seed out but it don't look good.any help to point me the right way.

2. robbo521

no ideals?

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

if you attempted to grow 'grass seed' there before but it 'don't look good' that may be because there are issues that need to be taken care of first.

drainage, sunlight, soil ph, organic matter, etc.

you may be wasting your time with placing the sod there as well if you are having problems with seed.

4. robbo521

i have put seed out around the house and it looks ok but just seems it is all kinds and weeds.the seed i use is Kentucky 31 from the big chain store.sunlight is good,drainage is good,not sure about the other.it use to be a old cow field about 15 yrs ago.it seems like i have every kind of grass you can get in my yard.:laugh:

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

As for the seeding. You say "around the house" you talking north or east side of the house? If so those sides will receive very little sun most of the year and growing any sort of grass close in too the house will be difficult. Compounding your problem is the K-31 fescue. Yes it was a great innovation 30+ years back, but there are thousands of better cultivars out there now to choose from. The shady areas may need a "shade blend" type of seed.

Sod is a great option in areas where wash outs are previlant, it's not going to stop water from washing out the ground for at least a few weeks though, until the roots take hold well, it's better than bare dirt however. Laying the sod over existing grass isn't gonna cut it. Your soil contact will be minimal unless the existing vegitation is removed in some way. Like stated you may need other soil ammendments as well.

6. robbo521

yes the one side is the north side.i have 5 trees and they are all in the front which is the west side.my back yard is like carpet,real soft and green and seems to be spreading but very slow.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Robbo521:
    My background is art. I've combined it with the scientific application of grass, plants, and shrubs. You're asking a BIG question. For anything to look great, you must work with what you have. Some major things to consider are, soil type, then get a soil test to determine what you have and then what you need to add to grow a specific grass. I see that you are in North Alabama--I'm in SC. What about using Centipede, St. Augustine or what is the free stuff. What about irrigation. Regular watering is most important in having a beautiful lawn. How much sun does the lawn receive? Then the landscaping design comes in, working with what you have and expect. Those trees--what kind are they? As you see there are so many variables to consider much less how much you want to invest. I don't want to throw water on your plans; but it seems like more than can be answered here in short suggestions. Talk with a landscaper in your area or I'll come down and take care of it for you. Roy

8. robbo521

thank you for the ideals of Centipede, St. Augustine,as far as the sod,he did not know what kind right off hand.irrigation would be me watering it all the time.i have two trees which are 5 yrs old and are at the front line,they are pin oaks.then i have 3 maple which are 13 yrs old.it gets sun from about 9am to about 4pm.thank you for your info.where would i find Centipede, St. Augustine at a local co-op?

9. robbo521

when would be a good time to plant this type of grass?

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Centipede and St. Augustine sod is generally available to us about June/July from Lowes and Home Depot. I buy mine fresh cut from a supplies that only does sod. Supersod may be in your area. Check the phone book. St. Augustine is good for shade and if you sodding, St. Augustine likes sun also. You can overseed the Centipede about May or when the temps stay over 70 and water, water, keeping both sod or seed damp for about two weeks. As far as I've been able to find out, St Augustine seed is UNAVAILABLE to residential people. Of course, centipede seed is readily available from Seedland.com.
    I have huge Live Oaks and had them pruned for more light which helped and sprigged around them with the St. Augustine. Check that PH yearly. We have an abundant supply of sedimentary shell in the sandy soil which makes the soil really alkaline, so you may need to use a liquid fertlizer as the filler in most fertlizers is lime. Work with the local extention agent. Roy