Older 5 ton trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HOLLYWOOD6973, Mar 1, 2010.

1. evanbrendel

evanbrendel LawnSite Member

nice truck almost identicle to my bucket truck love the 5 an 2 also love the tilt hood for maintenance.

2. HOLLYWOOD6973

HOLLYWOOD6973 LawnSite Member
    from PGH PA

You know it's funny. This is my 14th year in business and by no means my first truck.
    Last year I bought a new W5500(isuzu) with heated mirrors, custom spec. bed, and so on.
    3mos. ago I got a new GMC 2500hd.

And I find myself excited about buying a 21yr old truck.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same when I got mine. It must be because it is, "big". This is a "real" truck, not just a puny 1 ton.:laugh:

4. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can get drop centre 22.5 dayton wheels that will replace those 20 inch dayton wheels. You have to stick with Dayton (spoke) hubs unless you change them out for hubs that accept budd wheels.

The 22.5 wheels you can get from a tire shop it will be expensive from the start but you really don't want to be running on 10.00-20 bias ply you can get 10.00R-20 which is a tube type radial but they are hard to find and most tire shops won't do snap ring wheels.

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

congrats on your truck

7. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Sorry still a little lost. So we keep the spoked part of the rim on the truck and buy the outer rims "20in" . Which is where the tire is mounted to. Or buy new budd style rims with tires.

Ok what would be cheaper in the long run. 20's or new budds?

8. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Why would the tags be expensive? Isnt it just based on the value of the truck itself?

9. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Well in Ohio its by weight

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting, here they tax us based on the trucks value, and you can get them to drop the value for just about any reason! So that truck here, the tags would be around $75. year or less. I pay $140. per year on my ram, which is much newer.