older aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by homerescue, Mar 15, 2005.

1. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

Is it worth spending 200-300 dollars on a used aerator as long as the motor runs and tines are good, I realize that it probably won't run as smoothly and comfortably as the newer ones. Just don't want to spend big dollars for new one, I just don't see companies around here using them and would like to see if I could start a market for it in my area.

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If it operates well then go for it. Belts and tines can be replaced cheap. Just look over the machine and make sure it looks good.

How much does it cost to rent in your area? Here it is $50 a day, so if a $300 aerator last 6 days then you break even. Most likely it will last much, much longer.

3. homerescue

from wv

I'm thinking I can pick this up for around 200, ther is no doubt I can make a couple hundred dollars with it, the thing about renting is if you do one or two every so often I don't think its worth the travel time to pick up and return. I also have spare motors on hand if I would need to replace the engine, thanks for a quick reply

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go wrong for $ 200.00.. replacement tines are relatively cheap considering the initial cost of a new unit. Go for it, and if you don't , I'll come and get it..LOL...j/k :D

5. homerescue

from wv

Cool deal, I'll see how it goes and let you know.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

200 is a steal, tell me where it is and I'll buy it because I need a small one for areas that my 3 point has trouble getting at.

7. homerescue

from wv

Got it 255 dollars, 30" 5 horse lesco, good deal I hope.

8. 5 jobs @ $50 a pop and that machine is justa about paid for. Anything after that is pure profit unles you have to do a repair.

They are pretty easy to repair(tines and belts) as long as your handy with a wrench pliers and a good supply of band-aids.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

50??? Is that your minimum? Hopefully he can get more then that. Those walk-behinds are a lot of work. I would shoot for $60 minimum (It wouldn't be worth it for the homeowner to rent one and do it themselves for that price). I would shoot for at least $12-15 per 1,000 sq ft. after that. We get that using a tow behind. I sure wouldn't want to use a walk-behind for any cheaper.