Older Bunton

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Glenn J, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Here are some pics of an older Bunton I picked up last week. This will just be used for cutting our lawn, I'm not in the business at all. It's a 48" with a new 12.5hp Briggs. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. I plan on stripping and repainting the deck, replacing a loose throttle control (keeps backing off the engine speed) and getting a few new fasteners here and there.

After work today, I plan on sharpening the blades and hitting all the grease fittings with grease. It came with some type of mulcher blades...Gators? I'm not 100% sure. The guy also gave me two extra sets of regular blades.

This thing cuts a lot better than our Snapper LT16 tractor. The tractor is a beast, but the 32", single blade just cut OK, nothing spectacular. This mower, even with dull blades cuts much better than the tractor. We're still keeping the tractor though. It comes in handly for hauling stuff with the utility trailer.

NewMower1.jpg

NewMower2.jpg

NewMower3.jpg

NewMower4.jpg

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I've never run one of the older buntons but just looking at it it looks ahead of tis time. Deep deck, fabricated instead of stamped for strength. Should make a great homeowner mower. I love my bunton ztr's, well built and relatively trouble free.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think it's time to trade in that Jetta for a truck..

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Where in CT are you?

5. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

It is a very well built machine. Considering it's age and the fact that it was used commercially, it's held up very well.

The Jetta does pretty well towing. I won't be hauling the mower since I just use it at home. I haul around my three wheeler, but the car handles that without an much of an issue.

proenterprises,
    I'm located in Wallingford.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

those old buntons are awesome!!! we have two of them at work. one is an old 52 inch hydro and the other we have is just like yours. both still run great. we have phased them out over time, but they still cut awesome and the boss scooped them up to cut his lake side property. good find!

7. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Cool! Glad to hear they hold up well! Any idea where I can locate a manual for the 48"? Textron says they can't find a model number in their system. I sent them a pic of the ID plate too. :dizzy:

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

That one looks a little older than mine, but I could copy my manual/parts list for you if you can't locate one.

9. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Cool! Feel free to PM me.

10. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I think I'll keep this thread going as I work on the mower.

A few weeks ago, the engine went. It was a major bummer because the engine was pretty new. Basically, the mummified remains of a mouse were between the cylinder and the cooling ducting. After a few mowings, enough clippings got in there to block the airflow. :realmad:

[​IMG]

Backside:
    [​IMG]

The problem:
    [​IMG]