Older clients gripe about hourly charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleancutccl, Dec 16, 2005.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Got a phone call today about a leaf cleanup we did. Sent two guys $40.00 per man hour. Total was $110.00. Sent the invoice and got a call tonight asking if I think my charges are a little outrageous. I told her that anything that we do such as shrub trimming, tree work, leaf cleanup is all hourly at the above rate (which I also explained to her before we even did the work). I get the feeling that she is trying to work her way into paying a smaller bill, which won't happen. Do any of your "older" customers not understand that our world is a more expensive place these days?
  2. jo_watanabe

jo_watanabe LawnSite Member

Geesh - I would have said $40 sounds pretty reasonable!? Would definitely stand you ground on that one!! LOL
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Seems to be a common problem on here, older people think they deserve a cheap rate or something for nothing, they dont' seem to understand what the real LCOs are charging for, its not just for profit, its for bills, insurance, and pay too.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

After you get paid in full, next time she calls to get work done tell her to go to Hell, in a less harsh way of course.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You get less problems if you tell them aproxamately what the job may end up costing them before you do it.
    Like say Gladis asks about having her leaves done.
    You say "Sure we will be glad to take care of that for you Gladis,but I want you to know it may run you $100 or more."Then there is no confusion.
    Also I have noticed alot of service people do not talk slow enough or loud enough for the older person to understand fully what is being said to them.This is a common problem..and the old person just smiles and nods their head because they are too embarrased to tell you to talk slower or louder.
  6. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

The funny thing about this is that we mow her yard too, at a rate of 40.00 a week. She has no problem with that, which takes 2 guys about 20 minutes to do. If totaled up it is actually costing her more than the our $40.00 a man hour labor charge, but I won't be the one to point that out to her.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Never give them your hourly amount! It is none of their business. Tell what the job will cost them and that's it. You don't ask them how much they make on their job, do you?
  8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely give an hour amount, overall cost is much easier for me to sell and the customer to absorb IMO.
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we charge $60/hr. on the bills i quit listing an hourly rate. just the final price based on $60/hr
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right ,thats why I said $100.00 or more.That is not an hourly rate now is it?