1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Older commercial hr215 on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clean_cut, Mar 28, 2010.

1. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found an older mower on craigslist and wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this specific mower or knows if this sounds like a good deal.

The mower has been used by a homeowner for around 10 years and has not been used commercially, the mower also comes with a bagger and mulch plug. They're asking $275, which I think is a little steep, what do you guys think a fair price would be?

I'm mostly going to use it as a mower for gates, steep and uneven hills, small yards,etc. (anywhere that a 52" mower a can't go). I currently use a toro recycler which is also about 10 years old and still works wonderfully, but I don't wan't to spend a lot of $$$ on a new 21".

So, is this a good mower, would it be better to buy this as a an older commercial mower or a newer (still used) homeowner model mower?

I'm leaning towards the commercial for the bbc and hydrostatic drive.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1659478719.html

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

2. BubblegumLC

BubblegumLC LawnSite Member

i have one, use it for same purpose and overgrown bank REO's. works great, i keep it up and it keeps going. bought for $120 on craigslist. thought it was a really good deal so i bought it. my dealer has same mower for $275....hasn't sold. he's had it at his shop for like 3 months. good mower though.

3. BubblegumLC

oh, and the side chute is $40 alone.

4. clean_cut

O.K. So you think I should try and talk him down some on the price? How many hours/what was the usage (if you know) of the ones you described? Just so I can get a rough estimate of what they're worth.

5. BubblegumLC

heck, mine is older than that! its the older silver deck, not black. that said, it may be a good price at $250 if it is in good clean condition. No leaks, starts in 1 pull (as they should), etc. like i said, i thought mine was a steal, couldn't pass it up. had to change throttle cable and sharpen blade but other than that it works good. if i had to replace it...i would bite at $250 for a newer one with mulch kit, bag, and side chute...

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy it, that is a good deal.

7. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

If its truly commercial it's an awesome machine and cuts great you can't go wrong with a honda

8. BubblegumLC

HR is not commercial. HRC is and that would be a smokin deal! I just saw a used HRC216 in good condition for $700....

9. clean_cut

Not a commercial? They told me it was, and it looks pretty heavy duty to me too, are you positive it's not commercial?

10. BubblegumLC