Older cutter's.....still mowing or?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AVRECON, Aug 13, 2001.

1. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

This question is for the older owners of LCO's. Are you guys still out mowing and doing the same work you were doing 20 or 30 yrs. ago? Or are you out inspecting the work of your crew or crews ? I've often wondered what I would do if I were not able to do the manual labor this profession requires. I also ask this question because it seems that everyone here is out there everyday doing this kind of work. I guess the point I'm trying to make is with such a tight market, I'm wondering if you can keep a LCO bizz without being in the mix everyday, meaning the physical labor part of it.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm 58 and still mowing every day. I will mow till I can't get on my Choppers. I enjoy doing it to much to stop. ;)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The oldest guy in my area doing it all is 70+.

4. I wouldn't promote myself to "manager" because I'm so poor at it that I'd hate it. I'd rather mow lawns.
    I left a desk job in '83 and havn't looked back. That desk is harder on your health than a job with exercise.
    I'll be 55 in 3 weeks and if my health holds up I'll be on the mower at 75.
    I don't work as hard as I did when I started because I'm smarter now. LOL
    Dave

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im 54 so time goes on and i will until. after watching the various ways people get old and leave this world. barring a stroke or something .ill be on one until the end. this idea of retiring and resting just dont work for most ive seen. ill just keep working
    later TM. PS IT WORKS ALL RIGHT FOR THE WOMEN . most of my customers are widows.

6. I see a screenplay here.

A twisted tale of November love.

A hybred film taking some elements from The Lawnmower Man and The Swimmer (staring Burt Lancaster).

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys in your 50's+ do besides mowing?? Any landscaping, bed mulching, shrub trimming , etc..:) ED

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yea i do every thing you mentioned and a lot more .
    heck i might even try my hand at acting . if i could find the right
    white hat role.:D