older Dixie with deck movement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Star Lawn Care LLC, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 94 Dixie 60" w/ 20 Kohler Magnum them deck had a lot of side to side movement. when ever i hit a bump or turn real sharp one side of the deck will dip down and scalp the turf....putting my trac vac on it is impossible. It seems that the newer dixies have a more rigid deck

DOes anyone know of a solution to this problem?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure on of the pins that hold the back of the deck up didnt fall out,This happened to my 50" DC ,it did the same thing you explained and it cut a little low on one side.I put a new pin in it and the tracvac worked foine and it stopped all the movement.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah both the pins are in but i have had that happen before but this time thats not the case

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Did you check the rods that stablize the deck,they are right under the floor,right behind the battery,if its real loose or one of them is broke itll let the deck slide from side to side,there is a grease fitting on the center pivot of them.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Fivestar, I had this same problem with an old 60" with a Magnum. I bought new pins that hold the deck to the square piece that goes from the front to back by the back axle and when I was changing them, I took that square piece out and laid it on the floor and it was bent. I straightened it, put in the new pins and it was like new again. Good luck.

John, after reading his post again and yours, I noticed that he did say side to side, that would be the stablizers, but he also said it dips, so that would be up and down movement on the deck, this is what I had a problem with. If it is up and down and not side to side swinging, this should fix it Eric. :)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 09-14-2000 at 02:52 AM]