Older Dixon mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Imp, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Imp

Imp LawnSite Member

Just bought a 8 year old Dixon zero turn, 14hp kohler with only 149 hrs on it looks to be about a 40 some inch does say commercial on the cover can anyone give me some feedback on these mowers...thanks

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

You bought a mower and dont know the size:dizzy:. Ill push a scag before I mow with a dixon..........

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I assume it's a cone drive? If it looks around 40" then it's a 42" deck.

Commercial? I really have no recollection of dixon EVER producing a 42"/14 hp "commercial" machine.

If it's in good shape it's a fine mower for residential use, not going to be great for production mowing... underpowered. Assuming it is a cone drive, as long as you don't have a lot of hills it will hold up fine. The cones do need adjustment once in a while, sometimes replacement, both really need to be done by someone who has the proper tools and knowledge to get it to track right again.

Those 42" decks do cut nice IMO. I had a 42"/15hp Kohler model that was a hydro drive about 6 or 7 years ago.

4. Jason Rose

I'm sure the guy really appreciates your HELP! :hammerhead:

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

SORRY about the blunt post just caught me wrong. Just aggervating sometimes when I hear stuff like "dont know what size I bought".

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Dixon never made anything close to a "commercial" mower until 3 or 4 years ago. It might be ok for occassional commercial use, like, as a backup/standby machine. you certainly would not want it for your frontline mower. Hope you did not give over a couple of hundred for it. Good luck.

7. Imp

Imp LawnSite Member

I know its not commercial it just has a decal/ sticker below the seat that says commercial for some odd ball reason I didnt take a tape with me but its fine considering the hours I hope.

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Maybe I should rephrase that statement as follows.
    Dixon did not make a mower that any full time, experienced LCO would consider for commercial duty use until 3 or 4 years ago.

10. Jason Rose

HAHAHA, would you like to come here and tell that to the face of the numerous guys (including myself) who mow full time and are very experienced who have ran and still run nothing but Dixon mowers (commercial 50" models) for the last 15 years or so. I can probably think of a dozen 5023's that people use on a daily basis, some with over 3,000 hours on them. Not babied machines either, ran by employees so used and abused. Why won't they switch to a different brand that's made heavier? for just that reason, they are heavier. Why does everyone think that more WEIGHT equals a better machine? :hammerhead: