Older JD walk behind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBM, Apr 14, 2001.

1. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with a guy selling a 48" JD walk behind (belt drive). I can get it cheap but the thing is more than 5 years old. The guy that has it has been mowing his 2 acre lawn with it for the last 5 years. I'm unsure how old it is but he tells me it was the last year that they made them without reverse. Does anybody out there have experience with older JD walk behinds? If so, is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it is the kind with the flat front (of deck design), then it is the old Bunton that John Deere used for years. I have two of these machines that I've owned since '84 and '85. If you have any questions regarding these machines, feel free to ask.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

He should of been able to mow his 2 acres in no more than 1.5 hours and at the most 30 times a year, probably less up there. So at the most it has 250 hours which is nothing, it's just broke in good.

My oldest Chopper I bought in 1994 and it is run over twice that total amount of hours each year and has for the past 6.5 seasons and still runs good. If you can get a good deal on that mower and it's not beat up, it would be a good mower in my opinion.