Older JD walkbehind, crank deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Found one of these at my dealers the other day, they are selling it on consignment, and I didn't get the price...

This is one weird looking machine to say the least. I think it's a 48", but it looks bigger than that, but that's what they told me it was. Also unsure if the Hp of the engine. Being a Kaw. engine it's written in greek. I know that the flywheel is HUGE compared to most other engines. I think they assumed it was a 17 hp. I also have no dealings with them, it's a belt drive, i THINK... The belts are not exposed on the sides like most mowers. All I can see from underneath is the transmission. It needed a jump start and fuel in the tank to get it running. It looked a little rougher than I wanted to go for, but I LOVE the crank height adjustment on the deck... Hours and age was unknown, like I said it is electric start, and it did turn over some till the battery died. There's a red light on the pannel that shows something, not sure what, but it worked. Not sure what kind of grass catcher would fit this unit either. the way the discharge is sort of bent downwards and angled It looks like it would be difficult to find something that would fit... I know they had factory catchers, but I'm sure they are long gone. Accelerator maybe?

Iv'e seen other posts on here of people resurecting the older crank deck JD's. Just how good are they? Lets assume that this machine is in fair condition, would it be worth buying, and how much $$ would you give for a decent one?

2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

depending on hp and hrs. which you should be able to see.
    the red light is most likely an oil pressure warning light, also is the crank for the deck in the front or on top of the deck ? does it have a shifter red handle near the handle bars for transmission gear selection ?

3. Jason Rose

It was around a week ago I looked at it... So my memory is fuzzy, lol

I know that the deck crank was in front, not on top. Is that good or bad?

I do recall the handle being a bit short. I'm tall, yes, but it seemed a little lower than others Iv'e seen. It's not easy for me to inspect it, it's about an hour away from me.

Finding anything used around here is nearly impossible. Iv'e hit up most of the larger dealers in Wichita and none of them have much or anything at all. W/B's seem to not get traded in much, guess most guys run them til they are nothing more than a pile of parts and scrap!

4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason,

I have a 1993 John Deere 17hp Kawisaki and 54" crank deck that is rebuilt and repainted. The mower is in good condition with a lot of life left in it. It comes with the bagger and some extra parts. I am asking $700 but am open to all offers. -Mitch-

000_0709.JPG

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

if your just staring out I know alot of dealers are offering some pretty good deals as far as financing goes !!! and to have a new dependable piece of equipment w/ a warranty would be benefical

6. Jason Rose

No worries, I'm 12 years and counting in the buisness! I just have NO experience with walk behind mowers. This is ZTR country here! I'm just looking for something as a back up machine.

Dream cut, looks like a great price on that machine, I really can't use a 54" though, I want to be able to load it on the side gate of my trailer which is only about 53" at the most, and that would take some grinding/cutting, lol.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some info for you as far as the mower goes. If it is a 48, it will be 14 hp, recoil start. 54" are 17hp and electric start. They are not belt drive, the transmission is similar to that of a belt drive, but also like a hydro. I used to have one of those old 48"s a few years ago and that thing had an awesome cut!! That crank style deck was so much easier to adjust than having to pick up deck corners and pull pins. Mine had 1200 hours on it when I bought it, and I paid 400 bucks for it. The Kaw was original and started on the first pull. The red light is a low oil light. I beat the poop out of mine and it never ever gave me one problem. When I sold it, it had 1600 hours on it, and I got 700 for it!!! I gave it a quick paint and some good tires, and it was on its way. I sold it two years ago now and the guy still uses it to this day.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I have one like DreamCutLawnCare, except 48". The red light is oil pressure. They are good, dependable mowers. The crank deck styles were last made in the mid to late 90's, I believe. The crank deck is a nice option to have - quick to adjust height. $700 is a good price for DreamCut's mower.

9. Jason Rose

Thanks for the info. Yes they "told" me it was a 48", but he wasn't too sure. Yes it looked awfuly wide for a 48"... It IS elec. start, no recoil at all, so I'm going to assume that you are right on the size and hp. I guess they didn't offer other engine choices on these? I guess I ought to call them and see if I can take it for a test run sometime. If it's a hydro there's no resivoir tank or anything, so I assume it's a sealed type hydrostat? It was one unit underneath that both wheel shafts came out of. Wish it wasn't so far of a drive to see it again...

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct on the sealed type hydrostatic drive. I still have the owner's manual from this mower and it has the 48 and 54 in there. I was giving you info the best I could from the manual. Im not sure as far as optional motors go. If you do get this mower and no manual, pm me and I can mail it to you, no cost of course:)