older john deere commercial walk behind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rl1138, May 3, 2004.

1. rl1138

rl1138 LawnSite Member

I recently bought a used John Deere 48 Commercial Walk behind mower w/ 14hp Kawasaki. When going down a incline it doesnt want to turn left or right. Is this a characteristic of this particular mower or is there an adjustment or is something just shot?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

you may be low on transmission fluid or the brakes may be out of adjustment. drain and refill the trans and adjust the brake control rods. your dealer should be able to get you the info you need.

3. rl1138

rl1138 LawnSite Member

thanks I' ll take a look at it. This is the John Deere that doesnt have the newer drive belts that sit outside the frame.

4. rl1138

rl1138 LawnSite Member

Well I changed the transmission fluid and put in the recommended quantity and the problem is there. I bought this unit used maybe its a characteristic of the mower?

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Do the tires lock when you apply the brakes? If not, there is an adjustment rod to each handle that can be adjusted. I have the same mower, and by going downhill while making a turn, you'll need to also put a little muscle into it to make a turn without tearing up the grass.

6. rl1138

rl1138 LawnSite Member

yes, the tires lock and you have to really muscle it to turn going down the hill as opposed to going up a hill you dont need much effort to turn.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it's working the same as mine. Just the nature of the beast.