older MTD commercial WB 36" worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by chefj, Aug 18, 2014.

1. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

I need a 36" mower for the rest of this season for some smaller residential lawns, to much for a 22", yet to small for a ZTR. A guy has one for sale for $500 is it worth it?

mtd.jpg

mtd2.jpg

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Will probably last the rest of the season as long you don't plan on a sulky and weigh 250.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  3. chefj

I'm about 230, but I'll be walking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is a heck of a deal for a good running commercial walkbehind. It is the same basic design, and most likely the same parts as a Cub Commercial, yellow paint, and a Lesco,(pre JD buyout), green paint. This might have a different engine, but otherwise, all are almost exactly the same mowers, all built in the same plant.

5. chefj

13hp Briggs. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but it seems like a good deal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

go for it. it'll last longer than the rest of the season. been looking for a decent 36" myself. prefer hydro but for 500 bucks you cant beat it

7. chefj

Thanks for helping make up my mind. I'll go and look at it tomorrow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. chefj

I purchased it. Now I need to learn how to use it. And the blades are as dull as a 2x4.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Easy peezy. From neutral shift into desired gear with knee while holding both handles tightly. Ease out both hands at same time. Use varying pressure on handles to steer. To stop squeeze both handles tightly and use knee to shift int neutral.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. chefj

Do they make a mulch kit for these things, or should I just fab up something to block the shoot and run some mulching blades?