older SCAG

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PAV 1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. PAV 1

PAV 1 LawnSite Member

I have a older scag walk behind hydro. This thing runs great , starts on the first pull every time. My question is when after an one hour of mowing the blades don't want to engage after its warmed up

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If your clutch looks like the one below there is three slots in part # 5 to insert a 0.012 feeler gage and adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out.

Toro PTO Clutch.JPG

3. PAV 1

PAV 1 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your help and time it means alot to me, and I have to keep the old girl running

4. milike

milike LawnSite Member
    from MI

After How many hours should it be adjusted??

5. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Read your manual to see what the hours are to adjust your clutch or check it once a week

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that info I was looking for it this week. I took the opportunity to adjust several units. If the unit is squeaking on start up does that probably mean it is down to the rivets? Or does the one that don't squeak mean it is slipping a lot on start-up:confused:

7. Kglenn04

Kglenn04 LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a silly question but where would I find the clutch on my Toro 44 mower?

8. Kglenn04

This may be a silly question but where would I find the clutch on my Toro 44 mower? My mower is doing the same thing it keeps blowing the fuse

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Look up under the back of the mower frame where the engine mounts, The clutch is on the end of the engine crankshaft.

10. Kglenn04

Thank you will be looking in to this in the morning