older trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnandplow42, Apr 12, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone out there tow, or use as their primary work truck, with an older truck. I have a 1987 chevy.
    just curious :waving:

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it matters, as long as its clean....a guy around here has a 1975 Chevy pickup, truck is sweet, trailer painted to match....

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, the year can be irrelevant as long as you keep it acceptable, as far as looks and condition. i just starting using a 1990 pick up, and this is the newest truck i ever owned!
    here the '90 gmc
    [​IMG]
    here's my '86 f250 i just sold this winter
    [​IMG]
    and my '84 dump i just sold the same week as the ford
    [​IMG]

4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I use good looking older chevy's. I use a '73, '83 and '85 as work trucks, I dont see why it matters as long as they are "presentable".

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I was using a '79 pickup towards the end of last year. I'd still be using it if I didn't drive it into a muddy POND. I loved that thing... my '92 chevy is the newest i've owned yet, but I love the older trucks. As long as all the colors match, and doesn't have huge rust holes in it, who cares.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I'm still using my 94 F150 4x4 that I started with. I just got it painted and new fenders and patches for the rear. But our last damn snow storm, paint job only 3 days old, and ran over a stupid plowing marker stake and scratched the right side bed al the way to the middle of the front door. Its a work truck but ya still want it to look nice at least a couple of weeks after a new paint job. LOL :dizzy:

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Older trucks can be a trademark of your business. I was looking at a '63 F-600 to fix up and repaint to use for my venture, but ran out of time to pursue the purchase.

Now I'm looking at a '68 F-100 up the street to fix up, not exactly for work, but as a school/show truck, and use my '95 or whatever I have in its place during the summer (hopefully the 2004 F-250 PSD).

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

One of my trucks is a '91 Dodge Ram 250. First work truck I owned and still use some today.

9. jims lawn service

jims lawn service LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have a 71 chevy C-30 dump I use for mulch and clean-up jobs.We have a truckmount leaf loader with a swing away hitch,makes a hard jod easier.

10. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I use a 76 Chevy pickup and i also have a Chevy C70 dump truck.The dump was in good shape when i got it so all i had to do was paint it to match my trailer and pickup.The pickup needed the motor rebuilt wich took me a day to do.From then on out it has been the best pickup ive had in a long time.I also have a 82 isuzu pup diesel with a dump kit.I need to run a new return line but that little truck will haul a load.ive hauled 2 yards of stone,lime rock,mulch,and other things and its a good little truck.