Older walker 48", bent deck or hanger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at buying a older 48" walker. Machine has 2500 hours but has a lot of new parts. Its supposed to be about a 1995 model but unknown since it does not have the year on the plate (have to go by that the dealer told me) I think it's a 20hp engine, but that lacks decals telling the hp. Engine was replaced 1,000 hours ago, runs good. Other than a gear box on the deck leaking slightly, and possibly the one that runs the blower/deck may have a bad seal as well, the machine is VERY clean for it's age. Also has a new (as of about a year ago) 9.5 bu. box, new belts, new blower, totally new caster wheels and tires front and back, drive tires are 75%. Deck is not original as it's a flip up type, was told that the flip up was not available at that time. I'm unsure if the hydros have been replaced or not, but I'm sure going to inquire. They seem to work fine after I adjusted the tracking though there's some sort of hang-up that causes it to turn to the left when I pull the speed control to neutral.

The problem... The deck dosn't cut at the heights it should :dizzy: The 3" setting is really about 2.5" and it also is almost 1/2" lower on one side than the other according to a tape measure on level concrete. What's strange is that I mowed several lawns with it today and it cut level and quite well. That's what confuses me... Can't see what's tweeked to make the deck sit so unlevel.

Only other real problem with the machine is the SPEED. I guess the older models were slower than the ones today... I assume that there's a "speed-up kit" available for this machine?

Any ideas? With as many new parts as there is on this machine it really is in pretty good shape overall other than a few things. I'm really in need of the machine since I bought my 61" G-Hopper I need something mid-size that dosn't damage thin turf so much in the smaller lawns. Definately need it before the leaves start falling, and used walkers are not that easy to find around here.

Thanks all! :waving:

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would keep looking... The deck or deck hanger frame is NOT right. Also seems quite overpriced IMO for the age/ammt of hours.

3. Jason Rose

Hello, anyone?? I suppose it IS a saturday night. Guess most people are out tearing up the town. Hope to get some other walker owners opinions. thanks!

4. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

To find out the age of the machine just call Walker with the serial number they can give you all the specs.
    Speed up kit will be available its just a smaller pulley and belt.
    If the deck is not level use some spacer washers under the deck hieght pins 1/2 " seems a lot check tyre pressures.
    These machines last very well, generally the engine wears out first and seeing as its been replaced you should be right for a while. Hydros are very reliable, check the steering lever springs are not sticking as mine sometimes get crap in them and don't return properly so I go round in circles.

Hope this helps.

5. Jason Rose

Thanks Galashiels. It had between 1 and 3 thin shim washers under 3 of the deck pins, but with them under there the deck was more out of whack, judging by tape measure. One of the first thing I did was check all the tires, the drive tires are not low profile though they are in good condition, maybe one is a bit out of round? Deck needs all 4 nylon bushings replaced, though Iv'e not seen a walker that dosn't break them pretty fast, even my new one I had a few years ago would break one in a few hours.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, I cant believe the lack of replies to this...KNOW their are lots of Walker guys on here...

7. Jason Rose

Yep, it's a thread from ME, for some reason I never get many replies...

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have never had a mower that cut at the hight that the deck was pinned at. As they age they have to be tweeked more. I have a 1996 20 hp 48" GHS unit. I had a 1997 48" GHS desiel unit also. Walker decks are very flexiable and its easy to over flex when trying to get just a bit further up or down a bank. Check the push arms that the deck mounts on along with the matching parts. My buddy bought a late model Walker and never noticed that his deck was bent quit bad untill I looked at it and showed him. The decks only last a couple of years anyway if your working in a sandy soil area. Thats not a lot of hours for a machine that age. I have around 3500 hours and it has been used very little this year as I went back to solo and run the Z mostly. Whats the asking price?

9. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I'm not sure what the asking price of this unit is, but don't forget that if the gear box on the deck is leaking, you are looking at almost $500 to replace it! Also, when you are checking the deck to see if its out of wack, make sure you have all the same size spacers on the pins, check it in six spots... 2 in the front, 2 in the back, and each side. Also, move the blades around when the deck is up and measure off of them to see if possibly a spindle is bent? If the gear box is leaking and the deck is tweaked.. its a possibility. I bought a walker that I eventually found out had been dropped off the side of a trailer and tweaked the heck out of it, even though it cut and ran straight! I'm still glad I bought it, but did run into some wiring issues along with the tailwheel being bent that after a while starting rubbing on the plate behind the engine. Little stuff like that could get you if you don't check it thoroughly. Good luck.

10. Jason Rose

Ok, thanks for all the info. I really don't feel to scared of this machine overall, that was my feeling from the get-go, but I still wanted to fetch some other opinions. It's a dealer selling the machine, and is asking $4,500 for it. Personally I think it's high for the age and with the gearboxes leaking. Don't worry, there's going to be negotiations over this. I have no need to spend that kind of money on a broke down machine. If they will replace the deck bushings, bumper wheels, and fix a few other minor things, then we will talk price over the difference for getting the gearboxes replaced.

Sure, in a month or two a much better machine will come along, but if it happens on a day I'm not looking it will be gone before I knew it was there.