1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Older Walkers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawns, Feb 10, 2002.

1. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I was wandering if anyone knows about older walkers, where talking mid '90s. Do they even come close to comparing to the newer ones? I came across one, not sure on the year. I know the guy who owned it. He just put in new hydros and a new 16hp in it. He is leaveing for the Marines and said he would take what he could get. What do you think I should offer him? It has GHS and 2 decks??? Any opinions appriciated!!
  2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I would say it just depends on the particular piece of equipment you are looking at. Alot will have to do with how it was maintained and how many hours it has on it. My first mower was a early 90's John Deer walk behind i bought in 2000 for 800 bucks. It was a horse and has worked fine since, as long as I keep the blades sharp it cuts as well as any other mower I have. For me it has worked out well, it was all i could afford at the time and it paid for itself countless times over. I dont know about your specific mower though.
  3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I'd check it out, demo it etc. He's replaced the motor & hydros it should go for a long time. You should be able to tell how rough he was on it just by looking at overall condition etc. Check the hrs since he replaced the motor etc. I have a 1992
    with the 16 hp GHS , and the mulching deck that just won't die. I can only get $1500 - $2500 on trade with a new one, but the machine makes me that much in 2 weeks by itself, so it doesn't make sense to get rid of it yet. I'd buy it if you could get it for $1500 - in good working condition. Hope this helps, they are a great machine.