1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

oldest trick in the book

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 13, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oldest trick in the book, i can't believe at this stage of the game, a customer is trying to pull this on me. here it is: you run a strict payment policy, like i do. i get my money by the first, or the service stops immediately. well, here it is, oct. 13th, payment is 13 days late. naturally i did not service the property after the payment became late (oct. 1st). here is the call i get, "bob, hi, this is mr. jones. let me know when you are comming to cut the grass again, i'll LEAVE A CHECK FOR YOU in the mailbox." see what happened here? they like to keep you on the hook. they still owe from sept, payment is late btw, and the only way they intend on paying me, is for me to come by and do more work for them, just to get the money they owe me that is past due. :nono: :nono: :nono: not a chance in hell it's goin down like that. i'll drive by tommorow, grab my check from the mailbox, then demand payment for the cuts that were missed as a result of thier late payment, a late fee, and a surcharge for having to drive over there to get a check. new guys, don't fall for the old, "i'll pay you next time you come over to cut my grass" trick. it's older than olderthandirt.
    Lux Lawn likes this.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I have a customer that is a $30 cut (EASY cut too for me so we are both getting a good deal on this one) and INSISTED on a weekly invoice and weekly payment. No problem and fine by me. So we leave an invoice every week along with a Self Addressed Return Envelope for the payment and guess what? Yep, he is always 3-4 weeks behind. The last invoice that I got payment for was for 4 cuts (a month..go figure) and it clearly said $90 PAST DUE plus the Current cut of $30 making it a total of $120.00. What did he do? Sent a check 3 days later for $90. Right now he is a 3 cuts ($90) behind again. Why? He has the money. I would drop him but if this makes sense I actually enjoy cutting this yard.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be lucky if there IS a check in the box. :angry:
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Oh they will probably leave him a check and it won't include the work they expect him to do when he shows up hoping that he can't add and figure out that they are cheating him. Sounds like a PITA. Take the money and run!
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

of course it wont include the work i'm supposed to do. that's all part of the plan, get it, keep you on the hook, by constantly oweing you money
  7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Bobby is right on the money. Seen it many times.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Tell him its a violation of Federal law to use the mailbox in this way. And of course you wouldn't want to get in trouble with the USPS. So he'll have to do a better job of getting the check to you (of course with the next months payment attached as well)
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

nuthin is older than mac...he was around way before McDonalds sold their first 100 hamburgers LOL.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

this is all too true. you must stick to your payment policies, or you will just get run around and burned in the long run. take it and run bobby, dont look back.