Oldies but Goodies --what still works

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfmagazine, Mar 9, 2005.

1. turfmagazine

turfmagazine LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Jim Kendrick @ TURF Magazine here ...

A reader just suggested we do a column of folks experience with equipment after it's gone through the wringer and back ...and keeps on ticking.

Like ... I know I've cut at least 1,000 cords of firewood (here in Vermont) with my 18-year-old Stihl chain saw. Still starts. Still cuts great.

What cha got on that topic?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have an old honda hrc 216 that just keeps going, and going. I did not have it the whole time, but I have had it for about a year, the guy said it was 7 years old. so it's eight now.

I also have friend that has a T27 trimmer. still cuts great and starts on the first pull.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Stihl FS85 Trimmers, thousands of hours on them. Those trimmers sure have seen some good workouts, and they just keep running and running.....

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

2-stroke lawnboy's, i have an 85' model that outpowers the new machines

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere Chainsaw that used to be my dad's, made in the late 70's. Still runs great...it has sure cut a lot of wood.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Stihl FS-85 trimmer that just won't quit. It must have 3,000 hours on it. Also a Stihl BR-400 backpack blower that refuses to die. Plenty of hours on that one as well.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I got one for ya Jim...it's me. Just like the Eveready bunny.

8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

My Snapper 28" riding mower just keeps running and running and running... It's seen 8 years of residential use cutting about an acre a week, and the past 3 years it's been used commercially, and has seen 15+ hours a week.
    Every year it usually needs
    1 belt:$15
    3-4 new blades:$15 (Damage from rocks, sticks, etc)
    4-5 clutches:$13
    Along with regular greasing/oil changes
    It just keeps running. I want to get a smaller walk-behind, might even look into this new exmark 26", but this thing just keeps running, and its fun to drive.

9. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1989 Bobcat gear drive walk-behind that can still cut right with the latest mowers

10. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have a 1984 john-deere tractor named bobby.