Olive tree pruning

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Curb Appeal, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Curb Appeal

Curb Appeal LawnSite Member
    from florida

I am new to this site. I have been reading your postings for about 6 months and have enjoyed many useful pieces of information provided. To date I have not had much to add, but today I am asking for advice from some of you with much more experience in the pruning area than I have.

I was approached by a client today with two beautiful Olive trees in her store front. She would like me to prune them. I have never had experience with this tree and will do it for her, but was hoping some of you might have suggestions or whatever for me specifically related to this tree.

They are about ten feet tall, and very overgrown. They have not been pruned for about three years. Cost is not a concern, a job well done is. Another request of hers is to keep the trees at ten feet so she asked if it can be topped off.

I am located in SW Florida if that makes a difference as far as climate goes.

Is there a right and wronge time to prune this plant? Can I top the tree off without damaging it?

Thank you for your insight and I look forward to your replies.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never done olive.

But if needed, I'd do two things, or one of two:

1. Read a garden book that tells about their needs.

2. Do a search on www.google.com under search key words - olive, tree, pruning, care.