1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

omh pro topsoil screener

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dirtybiz, Apr 6, 2011.

1. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

Anybody tried or used on of these topsoil screeners: www.omhproscreen.com ? The price is much more doable for most small/medium landscape companies who cannot afford a 30-40k screener, but need the option to do so. Also nice that it can be picked up and moved around alot easier.

We used to just rent one, i think they were thomas', but the rental stores around here don't even carry them anymore. When times got tough i think they were one of the first things to go. Not to mention they were $400+ per day.

Any constructive input/comments would be greatly appreciated. I wish i could try one before i bought one. Not sure about the battery operated one?
  2. blowerman

blowerman LawnSite Member

Watched the video, read the specs, I'd pass. Unless you are screening a large quantity of soil I found it's cheaper to buy screened from the big soil guys.
    I owned a Royer Shredder and 544 Deere with the idea I'd screen my own soil and found even though I used several thousand yard a year the numbers didn't work. Now, I use field run. The one thing I'd do is look for a bigger shaker in the used market. I'm not saying they are not nice to own, it's just hard to justify the expense and have employees run it.
    If you come back with a statement about how you'll be the one using it; your time is still worth something. Now you got me thinking, that I'd like to find a nice used shaker again.
  3. 5speedpsd

5speedpsd LawnSite Member
    from NWCT

Looks like a fairly nice machine. Looks like it would be hard to load with an excavator though. I also dont like that it can only be moved with a machine. Means you always have to have a machine wherever it is, could cause a problem. Personally I think depending on the type of work you do they can be very useful. The company I work for has one that is larger then those models but not much, can be easily towed behind a pick up. I can't remember what type it is exactly but maybe an older ez-screen. We very rarely us it to screen soil to sell maybe screen 200 yards a year to sell. its nice for us because if we take good soil out of a job instead of hauling it out and hauling in top soil we can screen it on site and save alot of time and money. I dont know if you rent equipment but we also rent ours out alot to suppliment the cost. Couple guys that rent it out once in awhile when were not using it, cheaper for them and pays off the machine. Those look like nice machines but don't know about them if you can't demo one, and they look like they would be alot of hassle. Theres a guy on ebay selling one model there like 20,000 new and look much more practicle on there, if you go on ebay and just type in screener they come up.
  4. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a lot of good dirt going through the front and wasting production. Needs a longer screen.
  5. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Dirty, I looked at one of these last year for USFS project that I bid but did not get. I liked the machine. Considering the price, its capacity and ease of transport if your not needing to process tens of thousands of yards of material it seems like the perfect solution. I talked with these guys at length. I felt comfortable with the product.

However I picked up some ideas at ConExpo I think there might be an alternative with additional options beyond topsoil.

They are the Remu or the Allu screening bucket.
  7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I like it but haven't ever used one, would love to try one out. I like that a skid can do it but do worry it doesn't have a long enough screen run. especially if the dirt is sticky. I also like that it can be set on the truck and trailer the skid so it can be a one trip deal. It is better money wise as the other screeners are too big and too much money.

I have rented a Thomas and it works okay but is too big for a skid(without a high lift bucket) and really needs to be towed by a two ton size truck.
  8. 5speedpsd

5speedpsd LawnSite Member
    from NWCT

How did you like the Remu, I looked at them about 2 years ago when they had a conexpo in ct. Seemed like a really good idea at the time but needed to be refined. There was another company making the same idea but all mechanical. pretty much put the soil in the bucket and it somehow shaked it through a screen, don't think that system would work to well. Although the Remu on the other hand was a great design.
  9. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I had a Allu screening bucket on demo a year or so ago. It did ok as long as the soil was fairly dry, but if it was wet it was a no go.

I also didn't like the process time. It just seemed slow.

MOREDIRT LawnSite Member

I demoed a remu bucket last year that thing sucked. It was very slow it was an 18k boat anchor.
    Posted via Mobile Device