1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'The Green Guardian' started by nocutting, Dec 30, 2005.

1. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, is there a reason "OMRI" approval is not mentioned?.......is it an over-site?......another Question, why is any kind of "UREA" used [ its all chemically made, isnt it?....Even Feed Grade?]........To go to all this trouble to seem organic, is kind of Funny?payup .......Am I missing something?....or is it just as good to make people think you are Organic than to really be Organic?:waving: I'd appreciate some-one getting back to me on this, :dizzy: :waving:
  2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

OMRI is not mentioned for a few reasons. One being we are not being applied to food crops so being listed, while having some “very limited” marketing benefits in the turf care market, was something we have not bothered with until now.

This is currently being reviewed for products we have that would apply to agriculture.

To respond to the question of UREA. Yes, Urea is in some of our products. It is Feed Grade and not Ag grade. The difference is the biuret content. We purchase the feed grade form which is edible and has a very low (<0.25%) biuret content. This is why we emphasize that all our products are "Feed Grade" or "Edible" or "Derived from Feed Ingredients".

Why did we choose to avoid biuret? Simply because it is known to cause phytotoxic reactions and who wants burned lawns?

To respond to the inference that we are being deceptive about being "organic", we simply are not. We do market products which are "Organic, Organic Based, Natural Based, etc.&#8221;. The reference to the word &#8220;based&#8221; This means that one ingredient exceeds 50% of the formula. We also market organic weed controls which are exempted from EPA registration and yes, we market products which contain Feed Urea.

Our quick explanation to each potential or current customer is that we use only ingredients that are used in animal feeds as nutrients with the exception of a surfactant which is used in cosmetics and that ingredient is less than 1% of the solution and used for the sole purpose of provide rapid/effective penetration into the plant and that ingredient converts to useable nutrients. This ingredient origin is derived coconut oil processing.

We make sure to emphasize these facts to our customers partially because the word or intent behind the word has been so maligned.

Example, I have witnessed company's selling 2-4 D as an organic weed control because it is tied to the carbon molecule. This is not for me.

Other true "Organic" companies offer human or animal sewage as their N source. While I am from a farm that had ~1,000 animals at any given time I have made a "personal" choice not to handle any more of that. I put in my time. I also think I ate enough @#$! and I just never acquired a taste for it.

Now, let&#8217;s understand the manufacturing process that makes Urea. For the purpose of expediency I will provide the short version. For the long version Goggle "Urea manufacturing process" and "Ammonia manufacturing process&#8221; Here you will get an in-depth understanding on how all the nitrogen based products come into existence. A very good visual link is available here.

Anyway, the first step is you have to get ammonia. Where does that come from? "Atmosphere" which is compressed under high temperatures created by using "Natural Gas". It is then combined with carbon dioxide to stabilize it. Now we have Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Carbon. Without these 3 important components life on this planet just would not be the same.

The opinions expressed above are my own and are rooted from my fathers environmental education and stewardship which started me on this journey and my 33 years of farming origins, agronomic and horticultural studies (college and independent), 20 years of turf grass operations, Agricultural byproduct utilization research, plant and insect physiology and true passion for this business.

3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

So is is safe to assume that You offer Enviromentally Friendly Products which arent nessasarilly Organic?....Where I come From We Have A saying "It is what it is".....while "OMRI" approval isnt required for organic lawn care, it is required by "Organic Lawn & landscape Bizness's " that want to be supported by the many watch-dog enviromental groups that support the growing Organic Lawn & Landscape Industry", which also do not approve the use of "Bio-solids Or UREA".......Thank You for Your Time and your "Opinions", "Happy New Year", regards Saxon Harrison
  4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

The "Environmentally Friendly" tag is also something I have watched companies use to justify the application of any substance they want with the justification being "Its "Environmentally Friendly" to get rid of that pest.

I understand the premise behind your concerns. They are always mine also.

Simply put, we don't fit into a category. Edible was always my goal as the best bench mark I know of.

I know that OMRI also includes "Natural" items to be described as "Organic Certified" so many of our products would then fit into the OMRI description as organic.