On a stakeout

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Busa_bill, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

On my laptop just down the street from this deadbeats house waiting for someone to come home. Started 4 months ago when he calls asking me to get the place cleaned up so he can lease it out. He and the wife looked like super people. Even invited me in for a soda while we talked about their future plans. I live in the same neighborhood, so we're practically neighbors. I get the house cleaned up and he leases it in two days. He asks me to stay on and keep up with the yard, as part of the lease agreement is that they would pay extra for a lawn service of his choosing. Fast forward to today - he's 30-60 on $250, and owes me another $230 for what I just billed him 9 days ago. He's promised me several times that he would mail the money. Now he won't return my calls and his work emails are bouncing back. I think maybe he got fired??? What rips me the most is he kept letting me cut the place when he knew he wasn't going to or couldn't pay. Why couldn't he just man-up and tell me the truth?

So now I'm waiting for his tenant to get home to see if i can put pressure on him through them. If nothing else, they will find out a little about their landlord. I've never seen the tenant. There is furniture in the house, but I've never seen anyone there. It's really strange. This has changed my whole attitude about extending credit. I thought I was a good judge of character, but I guess you never really know.

Oh well, it's starting to get dark...........

2. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

You billed him 9 days ago and he has not payed yet? That is not a whole lot of time to be expecting payment. Maybe I am confused about the situation. Send him another invoice, give him a week, if he does not pay again, send a letter saying that you expect payment and if not will start the small claims court process.

He did not let you keep cutting the lawn, that was your choice, you could have stopped. He did not have a gun to your head making you cut it. If a customer does not pay, I stop cutting.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

So now I'm waiting for his tenant to get home to see if i can put pressure on him through them. If nothing else, they will find out a little about their landlord. I've never seen the tenant. There is furniture in the house, but I've never seen anyone there. It's really strange. This has changed my whole attitude about extending credit. I thought I was a good judge of character, but I guess you never really know.

Oh well, it's starting to get dark...........[/QUOTE]

DONT DO THAT !!!!!

dont start causing Trouble.

there are ways, I learned the hard way Dont Cut for people who rent...

Your lucky If indeed the Gentelman owns the house, you can sue him and put a lien against the proptery.
    But PLEASE dont Beak the law, you could find your self in Trouble....

4. Busa_bill

He didn't pay my last invoice, so he owes me for two months like I wrote above. Promised payment several times but never sent. So now I'm cutting him off. I'm new to the biz this year so I'm finding out the hard way. Never trust anyone regardless of how they look or how they live.

You do things and take risks when you start up. Stuff you wouldn't do or don't need to do once you establish. I'll take him to small claims or put a lein on his house if I have to. If nothing else - I was curious if anyone actually lived there like he claimed.

5. Busa_bill

DONT DO THAT !!!!!

dont start causing Trouble.

there are ways, I learned the hard way Dont Cut for people who rent...

Your lucky If indeed the Gentelman owns the house, you can sue him and put a lien against the proptery.
    But PLEASE dont Beak the law, you could find your self in Trouble....[/QUOTE]

It's now 8:30. No signs of life yet.

I'm not cutting for the renter.

How would I be breaking the law by telling them they have a deadbeat landlord?

6. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

What are you going to get out of telling the renter they have a deadbeat landlord? If I was the renter I would more then likely you that I don't care and quit wasting my time.

My .02

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm confused here, and I don't think that I'm the only one........

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This does not concern the renter one bit (if there is one). I would be a little peaved if I got hoem from work and some stranger came up to me and started telling me my landlord was not paying his bill. So, what do you want me to do about it. Leave them out of it, there are other ways to collect. You could be sturring up unwanted trouble here.

9. Busa_bill

I thought I was being resourceful, but it sounds like a bad idea now. Nobody ever came home anyway, so no harm done.

If he's screwing me, there are probably others. I'll go file my claim and get in line. Lesson learned.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Wise decision. I know when we get screwed we want instant results (me included) but we have to do it the right way.