1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? on adding material to soil to improve oxygen and nutrients available

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Trav, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

I have heard about a product that you put down with aeration that is made up of some type of rock that improves the water retention, oxygen in the soil, and helps with compaction.
    Does anyone know what it is ? Also has anyone had any experince with it? thanks
  2. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

you might be talking about topdressing, I don't know if there is any information on this sight, try a search, I do know that if you search on google.com you will come up with as much information as you want.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The right top dressing can improve you yard. How ever to find the right one you have got to know your present soil. Best advice I can give is to contact your county agent. He Should know your soil and can should be able to give you an answer.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Calcined clay is popular in heavy soils. The paricles are fired in a kiln-like environmen until (what else?) they're calicned.

Unlike vitrified clay particles, these will last in the soil for many years. They retain moisture yet hold heavy soils in a more open position for oxygen penetration. Sort of like amending with organic material. But organic material will eventually decay into stable organic matter. At which point it's volume has been reduced to a level where oxygen permeability will have declined again.

Popular brands that we handle are Turface (AllSport or MVP) & Pro's Choice (Soil Master). I would imagine that there are others too.

This approach will improve the CEC a little bit as well. Calcined clay is non-reactive & Ph neutrel.

The volume required to produce good results is high. Therefore this is not an inexpensive venture. But then calcined clay is more permanant than our time on earth, so if you want to do it once, do it right.

Do a google search for "calcined clay" then go to advanced search exact phrase & type in "amend soil with". If you don't lock up like I just did (LOL) you'll be at a good Grounds Maint article on the subject.

5. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it. Does anyone have experince with Tuface? thanks again. Travis
  6. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Never mind my last question. I was able to search here on Turface. thanks again. Travis