? on bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Apr 2, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy call today for a quote on mowing 5 acres wide open, he says its a rectangular lot, He wants it mowed biweekly. What would you charge if it is wide open, also I will have to buy a bigger mower, which I already planned on doing as I only have a 32 inch commercial and 21 inch. I told him I normally charge 60 an acre, but would probably charge somewhere around 40 an acre so 200 a cut, he thought it might be a little expensive. I told him to let me look at the lot and maybe I could work something out with him, What do you think I should charge and what is the lowest I should go?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

At least $350.00

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

40 an acre? Yikes! I'd charge about twice that.

4. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

THats what I thought, when i told him 200 a cut he even thought that was high.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course he thought that was high. Nobody wants to pay close to 1000 a month just to have their grass cut.

6. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it bi-weekly.

7. Lawn Boy

Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

Try to convince him to mow it every week and maybe u could drop the price a little, but I doubt that would work. I am just starting a business, so I am just trying to do things that will get my name out to the public.

8. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Think a little here. Noone is going to pay 200 a cut usually. If you want a bigger mower anyway and I dont know how busy your schedule is but with a 54 or 60 inch wb or rider you could cut this in about 2 hrs if their wasnt alot of trimming and say charge $90 a week with a 40 week contract you got over half of a new mower paid for. Theres no way i would cut it every 2 weeks though. If you could stay in one place for 2 hrs or less and make the same amount of money as cutting 2 seperate lawns somewhere else why not stay at this guys place and make the same.

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Plateau has a good thaught. If you were to charge by the hr what is your hourly rate? If it is wide open then it sould ony take you about 2 hrs to cut. Do you make 100 bucks per hr? I normaly charge between 45-60 bucks per hr.

10. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Chefdrp I noticed you have a lesco mower. I just bought a lesco 48 float hydro .. Have you tried a mulch kit on yours if so howd it work