1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

On bidding...per visit or per season??!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jajwrigh, Jan 29, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

When I bid commercially I have always listed my price per visit. Does anyone submit their bid amount for the entire season in one lump sum? This would allow me to purchase equipment a little faster. Please give me your input!!
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I did this exact thing this year, hoping to get some good income to start out with something to fall back on.
    What I did was submit the proposal, and offer a discount if they paid for the year in full. this is good because
    1) you don't have to worry about collecting every month
    2) you get the money in the begining of the year to use if needed
    3) you can sell an entire package easier than one thing, then another, then another. Like aerating, seeding, bushes, mowing, leaf removal, etc.

Good luck!
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I give bids per season if the customers asks for it. I try to estimate the number of cuts in the season and apply the amount I want per cut to come up with a total. Some customers pay in advance, others pay monthly. I like the monthly payment better since it produces steady revenue flow throughout the year, but it does require monthly invoicing of the customer.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We give them a breakdown of all services and costs then add seasons worth together, then divide by 12 for monthly costs
  5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I offer either per visit or per season to all my customers. Both residential and commercial accounts. It's nice to have a little money in the bank to fall back on. I do give them a discount if they pay for the season upfront.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

per month of maintenance
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

per visit for lawn maintenance and price year for fertilization.
  8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Per month on my commercials. Most of them prefer this way so that they have a set budget. But I would ask whomever you are submitting the bids to. Ask them which way they prefer.
  9. cmatheny

cmatheny LawnSite Member

How do you handle if the customer cancels before completing the 12 months.
  10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Great point! There is a risk involved there...maybe monthly would be a better choice...