1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

On Board Computer for directions?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem - New crew leaders not being able to remember where 200 residential lawns are.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Is there some kind of onboard, mapquest thing I could get which would help?

How do UPS or Fed Ex drivers do it?

Thank you,
  2. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Navman iCN 520 GPS , I use one in my truck can store 250 destinations all you do is call up the place you want to go and it even gives you voice directions.
    The Lawn Ranger
    Taupo New Zealand
  3. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

go to a place like best buy or circuit city and look at a few models of GPS systems. the new "Tom Tom" is supposed to be really good.
  5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Gene,

Did you have any luck a couple of months ago finding a new employee? If you did and know of any other guys looking for full time or part time work, I could use them. Would you PM me if you know of anything? Thanks.

I don't have an answer to your thread other than I have heard the Tom Tom sounds pretty cool, although don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for.
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i have snow routes in teh winter, and lawn routes in the summer.

I want a unit that will follow my route out, and print it out on a map for employees.

So, the way I would use it. turn it on, hit "learn" or whatever, and drive my route stopping at each job. then I could take it back to my office and print the map out.

Then, I would put the unit in the truck/tractor, and have employees run it all day. It would track where there were, and how long it took them to do each job. If they learn a faster way to do a specfiic job, they would be rewarded.

Extra stops along the way I could ask them what happened, and I could learn how much breakdowns, lost, talky customers, and specific jobs were actually costing me.

Will any of the cheapy GPS's do this for me?
  7. LiVe

LiVe LawnSite Member

The cheapest way is a nextel phone, I can get directions to any yard plus if I need to see if bad weather is heading my way or lightning I can check that too. I wish the whole world was on nextel. I pay $12.00 a month for telnav voice guided directions and $6.00 a month for the weather. I am a photographer to so I can track lightning so I can get some great photos.
  8. LiVe

LiVe LawnSite Member

PS the other thing kewl about a nextel phone is that you can install software on the employees phone so you can tell where they are 24-7. Nextel has a deal right now buy one phone get 4 free, and all incoming calls are free, hope this saves you a lot of money and time
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, why not do it the old fashion cheap way. Get a pen and paper and route it out in order with directions/addresses:usflag: :waving:
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

yea im looking for something to to program every house in so you can just click the customer and it will tell you the fastest way there everytime