? on Chamber of Commerce & Group Health Ins

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GarPA, Jul 12, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

We're shopping for a new health ins plan for me and a couple of employees. In searching our archives here there were a number of comments about going thru your local Chamber which affords you access to a "group" plan and rates. I've asked them for a quote but in the meantime I;d appreciate hearing from any of you who went this route and if you found the premiums to be at least somewhat less than a non group policy.

Our CHamber here uses BlueCross/Blue Shield which is a rather pricey plan if buying it on a non group plan.

THanks for any info you may have

2. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

try NASE. About half of BlueCross/Shield
    1-800-232-NASE

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

true, but you also only get half the coverage

when buying health insurance you need to ask many questions...be sure you get a plan that not only meets your wallet but also your needs.

we have gone thru our local chamber of commerce....not any price break on our size company.

We now have Blue Cross @ around $900 per month for family plan

we have also used Mega (thru NASE) as mentioned fairly cheap but coverage is basicly for catastophic illness. But the monthly premium was under $600 for family plan.

we shop yearly for a better plan....better in coverage and better in value. Its almost a full time job every winter...i spend hours on research and meeting with sales persons. Gives me a headache just thinking about it!!

Good luck

4. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

Sad but true, the longer you stay with an insurance company, the more your rates increase. If you have to have the absolute lowest rates, then you have to switch around a lot. Unless you get sick and actually use the insurance. In that case you are basically stuck.
    Greg
    In response to NASE, the coverage is adjustable, only pay for the coverage you want, add or subtract coverages later, it up to you. My statement about the coverage costing half as much as BC was for the same coverage, deductable etc.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -