? on clearing overgrowth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 31, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Behind one of my commercial accounts is an area where they park equipment. Its about 1/2 acre. It is not part of the weekly mowing but with this weather the weeds and grasses have gotten out of control. THeres thistle 4 ft high and grass so tall its laying over....too long to get a commercial mower in there.

Regardless of the size of line, a trimmer will not work too well and will take forever. Cant get a tractor in with a field mower. Was thinking of renting a smaller brush cutting mower. Have not rented one of these and was wondering if they work ok? Any other ides to knock down this stuff would be appreciated. When done it does not have to look like a mowed lawn...just needs knocked down...thanks

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely walk-behind tractor, with 30" bush hog, the round deck. I see you are in PA, there are a lot of Gravely's up there. I have a 16 HP, and the bush hog deck will really do the job on stuff like you are describing. Maybe you can rent one.
    Crawdad

3. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

What about one of those DR Trimmer/Mowers with the large wheels?
    Bet you could rent one.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I rented a "thing " a couple of years ago to clear heavy brush. It was self propelled much like a tiller but had a heavy duty cutter mounted on front like a hedge trimmer. It made the job easy.

Its called a sickle bar mower.

http://www.bcsshop.com/sickle_bar_mower.htm

good luck.........