? on evergreens for shaded area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Jul 12, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Have a customer who wants some privacy between his house and Sluggo, his neighbor. Problem is its in total dark shade all day. I suggested he look into vinyl fencing but he says its too expensive. I'm having a brain lock on this..... so is there an upright evergreen that you you have used for heavy shade that has done well? thanks

2. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

Heavy shade can be difficult by try some of the hollies..they have a tendancy to open up a bit in shade, but they should still survive.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, try Leather-leaf Viburnums.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Viburnums are good, and you may want to try Prunus 'Schipkaensis' - Skip laurel. We use them a lot in shady areas. I believe they can reach 12'-15' at maturity.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

At least in Oregon, and they are big later on - Hemlock and Western Red Cedar are the understory trees in the forests. They handle shade here.

And Yew has some forms that can build height - including the columner forms.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

How about a row of Rhododendrons?

7. GarPA

from PA

that wont work becuase he wants to totally block out the view of the nieghbors front yard...a real pig sty over there.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Did a search for an evergreen shrub, 6-10ft in height and full shade tolerance with Horticopia and it came up with:

Gardenia augusta(G.jasminoides)
    Arborvitae
    Canadian Hemlock
    Common Cherry Laurel
    Euonymus japonicus
    Mountain Laurel
    Leatherleaf Mahonia

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sell em on the Canadian Hemlock, Gar. Beautiful trees, plus when they are trimmed right, they really stand out on a property.

10. GarPA

from PA

NCSULandscaper...well thanks much for looking that up..very nice of you...by the way, where did you do that search?? I'd love to have access to a search engine like that.

Rod...Hemlocks are very nice...as long as they dont get the insect problem...I foget what its called..but they are susceptible to it....my neighbor has about 20 of them and half of them are toast.

Like I said earlier they guy has decided to go with a fence but I appreciate the tips for future shady areas.

BTW Rod, my new toy mower gets delivered on Thursday. Yes its red like like all of yours.....but the brand begins with "E", not "F". I had to make sure the paint matched the other one...ha ha.

Geez...I think I've become an Exmark bigot Rod. We sure don't need another one of us beating the drum for Exmark.....afterall we have Hoss for that!!!!!...lol