? on gravel delivery to a residence

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Feb 28, 2006.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

We have a 12 ton gravel install to do at a home in early spring.

All of the gravel installs we've done over the years have been done on commercial properties and we just had the stone dumped in the parking lots and moved from there.

My ? is, might the blacktopped driveway be damaged when the truck backs in to unload? The driveway is in good condtion. I can have the stone delivered in 4 ton increments but I'd rather have it brought in 2, 6 ton loads.
    The dump trucks for the 6 ton loads is bigger then the one for 4 ton loads.

My gut tells me there proably wont be a problem but I dont want to take any chances. My other option is to have it dumped in the street but it makes moving it a longer way than in the driveway. The street is very wide with no curbs so the stone pile wont be blocking the street and be removed in one day.

I realize we cant be sure if there will be a problem but I'd still appreciate your opinion and particularly if you've dumped tons on gravel on driveways in the past....thanks much.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Most residential, asphalt driveways are very thin, usually 2" plus or minus. for loaded trucks, you need 4"- 6" of thickness. I would not take a chance on damaging the driveway, as you have no idea how thick the asphalt is, or, how good the base is under the asphalt. All you have to do is create a few cracks and the owner may want it repaired. Dump on the street and carry the gravel in to the job. I doubt you have enough profit built into the job to cover driveway repairs.
  3. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

As long as the frost is copletly out of the ground or it is completly frozen you wont have aproblem. A 6ton load is not very much. I usually get that in my F550. When I need gravel I get it in Triaxle trucks which weigh anywhere from 70k pounds to upwards of 90k pounds.
  4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful FORD states that if you haul rock with their trucks under a F-650 it can void your warranty!!!!!! Look into a Duramax I have both, do you want another 550?????
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

We just installed 6 tons of pea gravel and had it dropped on a drive.No problem.Just be sure to place a large tarp down to keep from scratching the drive.Makes cleanup easier also.
  6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

one thing to think about is psi's pounds per square inch. if you put 12 ton on a single axel truck you will put more weight on the ground than if you put it in a tandum axle or triaxle truck. we have people worryd about there asphalt all the time when we bring in dirt, and they want a single axle truck, then i have to explain this to them. they are all happy until the figure out we charge the same for a full truck load of dirt as a half full, to cross there drive
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Mowerman..don't take the chance.
  8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure its legal to dump in the street. Here in Madison you will be fined if they catch you dumping in the street. Even if it is legal there is the risk of somebody driving into the pile if it is not protected. I worked for a company in MN that got sued by a person who drove into stone pile that was surrounded by orange traffic cones.
  9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

How about dump it in a wheel barrow. Me and two guys did 24 tons and barrier in 7.5 hours around a house no loader.
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm not sure what you mean? The stone supplier will bring the stone, not me. ( I dont own a dump truck as we rarely have a need for one)

I also plan to ask the stone supplier what they think as I'm sure they bring stone to homes all the time and I would assume they also need to be concerned about the issue and they are driving the truck but in the end I know I am the one ultimately responsible.