? on installing lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Downeast, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Guy's
    I have a customer that has a yard, that is covered with wood chips . He wants to take away some of those chips and make a lawn . Under the chips is sand , not very compacted . The chips are barely covering the ground . If you push a chip away you see sand . Should I remove those chips before loaming or could I put the loam over the chips . Also I was thinking on three inches of loam . Will that be enough ? The chips are not very big .
    Thanks

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Yea... I would skim all them woodchips off the top first, then dress the area up with like 2-3'' of topsoil then install your lawn after all thats done.

3. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

down here i sometimes will leave the chips, and sometimes rock. But we have clay instead of sand. The reason as to which i leave it in......drainage. I also will "till" it into the new loam.

I would probably remove the chips if I was on sand. If the soil allready has plenty of airation for drainage, leaving the chips in would hinder the amount of germination.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i would rake up MOST of the chips, if u leave a few thats fine. i would rake or till 1'' to 2" of soil in with the sand then. after that put on top 2'' to 3'' of soil. then seed then straw.