? on leveling a small yard then aerating and overseeding.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 25, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

4000 sq ft yard...grass is in overall good condition but there are a few holes here and there. Also some depressions here and there...need few inches of soil raked around....probably a ton or so. Usually I would rake the soil into the areas where it needs it. roll it or tamp it down, and then do the aeration, seeding and starter fert. Just wondering if any of you guys do these steps in a different order....would like to hear if theres a different approach that has worked for you..thanks.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good one I think. In that case I usually do the aeration first, then rake in the soil, because the process of raking & grading the soil will help to start breaking up the cores quicker. Then the seed, fert, mulch. For that small of an area we rake the seed in too. I've done it your way also, except I have never rolled it & have just tamped where bigger holes were that may have needed it.

3. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

That has worked in my yard.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

BRL...my thinking is if I rake in the soil first and tamp, then do two different passes with the aerator, the seed will be able to go into the newly created holes.We all know that good seed/soil contact is critical for good germination so I put the seed down before the starter fert yet most of what I read says put the starter down first...not sure I understand why...maybe its no big deal either way. thanks for your input

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen directions saying to put starter fert down first, and I've never done that. If one were to do that, wouldn't raking in the seed ruin the spread pattern & properly calibrated dispersion of material? I always put the starter fert last (or mulch would be last if needed) so it won't get disturbed. If you put fert down before raking seed in how will you have "xx amount of pounds per thousand square feet spread evenly"?

In the example given my method still results in seed getting into the aerated holes & good seed to soil contact, because for that small area we would hand rake it in. So whether the aeration happened before or after the new top soil was added doesn't really matter (I've had good results both ways).