1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? on Makita backpacks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 23, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Now stop laughing...one of the farm implement stores here is starting to carry Makita trimmers, blowers and backpack blowers.I like to keep an open mind on equipment..who knows maybe someone will come along like Red Max and be the new big dawg of backpacks.

Ever tried one? owned one? heard anything good/bad about them?
    They make great power tools but I tried one of their trimmers once and it was awful. Model they were trying to sell me is RBL 500
    48.6 cc
    187 mph
    70 decibels
    around $380(not a bad price unless its a weakling)
    throttle mounted on right side tube(which I dont like...like it on the left opposite the tube)
    they had no demo unit..... opinions welcomed....thanks
  2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

just dug out my the specs on the echo 650 and the redmax 7001...the makita specs are rather wimpy compared to these 2...looks like R M is still the bad boy
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

GarPA-good question

as I see it, the makita is not "junk" They are a fairly reputable company which manufactures several nice machines (power tools mostly)

I have seen their end of lawn gear advertised in TURF.

My view on the blowers is that:
    I think they would make fine blow and go machines. 48 cc is more than enough to blow off a drive and walk and throw it in the truck.

48 cc is probably not enough to do a major fall cleanup---thats what the bigboys are for (ie echo and redmax)

They are priced fair, and are designed to be rugged, I would say give it a try and let us know how it works.

Best of Luck Buddy!
  4. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

who's next dewault or milwaukee equipment
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I did a search for Makita and found this.

Product Recalls - Makita Backpack Blowers. "The fuel tanks on these blowers can leak, posing a fire hazard and risk of burn injuries to consumers. "
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

wow thats an interesting find....although i do remember a similar problem/recall with stihl products (blowers) in the past...

carescaper--learn about it before you bash it....he was asking an honest question.
  7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I have used one quit a bit and like it. Less vibration and easier to start than my br 420. Starts almost always on one pull. I never noticed the stihl's vibration untill i used the makita. it is comfortable to wear. the straps are nice. I find it easier to refuel than my stihl as well. The stihl has more power though. the makita takes a little bit to wind up. the makita is great for grass and is ok for leaves. It does get the job done. please note that i'm not sure of how many cc's the engine had on the one that i used. it was probably three years old. it looks similar to the one that is posted though.
  8. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

.........I think the Makita is a re-badged Solo blower.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Makita blowers are the same as Dolmar brand, and they are made by Robin, this goes for there trimmers and edgers also.

10. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Ive used the Makita trimmer alot, and love them...very light and powerful enough for me. never used the blower, but Makita is not new to this Ive been using the trimmers for about 5 years