? on oiling the foam pre-air filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 22, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

We're supposed to put some oil on the foam filter on the air filter. I don't do it but I check the filter every day and put a clean one about every 10 hours....am I heading for engine trouble since I dont oil them? thanks

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you are heading for engine trouble unless your filter isn't tight enough and dust is being injested. I have an Engineaire cleaner on a Kohler 15. I still oil the foam precleaner lightly but I only have to clean it every 100 hours or more, even in leaves.
    My Kohler 26EFI doesn't have a foam precleaner but has 2 filters and I don't have to oil either. Just curious as to why you don't like to oil them?

lawnequip 011.jpg

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is after a few long days in leaves laast year. It is oiled.

lawnequip 010.jpg

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Probably not, but if you oil the foam pre-filter the paper air filter will stay clean longer and last longer. The oil in the foam filter helps trap and hold small dirt particles and keep them from getting to the paper filter. I clean my foam filters every 8 hours with solvent and re-apply oil before installing. By doing this I can get up to 100 hours out of each paper filter depending on how dry and dusty things get.