? on Over Seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

When you overseed what do you use to spread the grass seed? Do you use a regular spreader or is there a special gadget that is used? Also do you add a starter fertlizer to it? Thanks for your advice.

Mowman

2. Mowman

I USE A RYAN MATTAWAY OVERSEEDER
    BUT YOU CAN USE A SPEADER
    OVERSEEDERS ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE BUT GET THE SEED RIGHT IN THE SOIL.USE GOOD STARTER FERTILIZER

HOPE THIS HELPS SOME

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you use a regular spreader. I use Lesco starter fert. when I overseed.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

For accounts which I service on a weekly basis, I will wait a week or two after I aerate and overseed to apply starter fertilizer. I have found that nutritional value is lost from the fert due to all the watering to get germination. All one time jobs get the starter at the same time so as not to have an additional trip.

Oh yeah...and a regular spreader will do.

5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I know that the best way to overseed is with a slit-seeder from my home-based landscape course. However, the course doesn't mention any benefits of simply spreading seed over the grass. My question is:

1) Are there benefits to the lawn by overseeding with a spreader?

2) When is the best time to seed this method?

I have customers I can sell on overseeding right now, with a spreader, but don't have the available cash to invest in a slit-seeder at this time. If there is a benefit to the customer, I was thinking of adding the service just before applying the winterizer in late fall...

-TGC

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, first, when you oversees, you definitely have to aerate first, (unless your using a slit seeder) potherwise, you are just wasting time and money which could be used better elsewhere. When you aerate, much of the seed finds it's way down into the holes. Some, perhaps, MAY find a little loose soil to have enough contact with. If you DON'T aerate, most of this seed is just going to run of in the wash (watering and rain), and essentialy not do anything.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you are over-seeding, you will be applying the seed with a broadcast spreader.

If you are slice-seeding you will be using a mechanical method (like the Mattaway) to apply the seed by machine.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'd like to hear from others concerning what Runner said. If the customer is not willing to spring for aerating, then overseeding with a broadcast spreader is no worth it at all?

Agree, disagree??

9. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ runner. seed has to make soil contact,if you just put seed down w/ no soil prep it's useless

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well down here in ny, we do a lot of overseeding when the ground frozes and before the first snow storm, just spread it, and the seed will find it's way to the ground, next year you'll see a lot grass coming out and don't forget to put starter fertilizer at the beginning of spring.