1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? on rain out's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Mar 23, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If you get a few days of rain how do some of you plan for make up's? What if you just can not get to them?

I have not been faced with this situation yet and I need to come up with a plan.

Thank you for your input.....
  2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

You have to get to them. We have certain lawns that have priority. Large comercial properties and high end residentials get top priority with us. If the big ones get out of control it takes awhile to get them back into shape. You have to get to every lawn if it means starting at 6:00 AM and ending past dark. When we have times like this we will generally pull a couple of landscape guys into mowing to help us get caught up.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I know it is going to rain for a few days, I put on my rain gear and go mow. I have seen it rain here every day for 2 weeks straight one spring, so you can't skip mowing for that long, not even a week when it is growing an inch a day.

If it is supposed to rain for 1 day and then be nice the rest of the week, that is a day off and we play catch up the rest of the week.
  4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

thanks CCLC and Eric for your input. A have a 48" w/b leco machine. I'm not sure it will cut in the rain. I bet I will soon find out. So most of you will cut even in the rain? and if so how does the lawns look after cutting?
  5. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I watch the weather close and I tend to mow later in the week and do projects in the beggining. If it's really going to rain I will start mowing a day early and hope I can sneak through it. If its anything but a down pour I will just keep mowing and If I get behind thats what Saturday is for! Strangly enough no one has ever complained about me mowing their lawn when its wet, I guess they are glad its getting done before the week end!
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Down here, once the rainy season starts, look out. I prefer not to cut in the rain, but sometimes it just can't be helped. What I hate is when your half way through a property, and it starts to rain and the grass sticks to the concrete surfaces.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

we cut in the rain until it starts to lighting, rut up the turf or is a serious down pour ...either way you have to get the work done
  8. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I just tell people that ask about me mowing in the rain that I'm very sensitive to the people who have allergies and I'm trying to keep the pollen count down.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I HATE mowing in the rain, but last april it rained here 21 out of 30 days. we had no choice, and some lawns didn't take it so well. You do what you have to when you have to to stay alive in this business. Dave g