1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? on running mowers in parade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 5, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

About a year ago we had a thread here on ways to support your community and get noticed at the same time. One of the ideas was to particiapte in town parades. Our town has a big Halloween parade and various businesses enter floats, decorated trucks/trailers etc. So this year we are planning to dress up the truck/enclosed trlr etc. We also want to follow the truck with 2 Z's with the operators dressed in costume. The mowers will be running for at least 2 hours maybe more. I dont want to run these things at full throttle given the noise but don't want to have them starving for air for 2 hours either. At about what throttle opening can we run without risking damage to the hydros or the engine? Thanks for your input on this rather weird question .
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

1/2 throttle should do just fine, since you are not driving them full speed the hydros will not be getting heated and the engine won't be loaded a bit there either so it won't get hot. I think a parade is a great idea, make sure and have your leaf box on the truck and get some banners or something made to advertise leaf removal too! Great time of year to advertise that!
  3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

What a great idea! Good luck in the parade.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yo Frank... with a name like FrankenScag have to enter a parade in your area!!. yep I was thinking 1/2 throttle might be right but I wanted to ask you wrenchheads first
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think I would e-mail the engine manufacturer and ask them. 2 hours is a long time to run one and if 1/2 throttle happens to be wrong.......damage may occur. 3500 rpm minimum is what I have always read and heard to get enough air in there to cool the engine properly.....less than that and it can over heat.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would agree with Homer, talk with the manufacturer
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would be hesitant at running the mower at half throttle for 2 hours. Try it in the yard first and see if there is too much whinning in the hydro pumps. You can burn them up pretty easy if not running at enough throttle.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a good plan

maybe you could fire a couple jesters to go behind the z's and the can do cartwheels with trimmers in hand
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I say dress the mowers up, too.:) Use some large boxes, like from an appliance store, or something, and you could decorate them as floats. Just leave an opening for the exhaust. You're in PA, the temps over there will be cool enough by that time that you should be safe to run your mowers. Oh,.. and have candy LOTS of candy. Go somewhere like Sam's and stock up, and have a 5 gallon pail or two (depending on the parade size - you know about that), and have your cards and fliers ready, and OFFER FALL CLEANUP SPECIALS! ;)