On Site Fuel

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Feb 27, 2006.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Is it worth it to store diesel on site, and what kind of cost are involved, locally they provide tanks for free but you must purchase min. of 100 gals at a time...still waiting on cost per gallon, just seems like we waste to much time at gas stations during our season....

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What about a transfer tank in the back of your truck? 120 gallons could go a long way with the size of equipment you're running. I'm trying to get my stubborn old man to put one in his truck but he says it's "a waste of money" :dizzy: . The only guys I've ever seen store fuel on site were very large companies that would bring in a 1,000 gallon tank. Of course, they were running 4-5 scrapers, 3 D8's, a Zaxis 600, 3 Volvo A40 trucks, and a grader, but you get the picture. Most of the other contractors who were large in size would have their lube guys fuel at the end of the day/early in the AM so operators weren't responsible. That's the kind of job I need, no grease gun, no fueling, just get to the fun stuff!

3. not really a price savings on fuel but where you save is everybody standing aroud the station or then when you figure how much junk food and drinks you buy , you really save then.

4. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

look into a transfer tank. I dont know if theres any in your area but Tractor Supply Company has some decent prices.

5. qps

from Indy

They quoted a price per gallon higher than all the stations around here...maybe transfer tank is the way to go for now...

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Odd, I would have thought they would be selling pink, which goes for about 40 cents per gallon cheaper than road diesel here.

7. qps

from Indy

I didn't get a price for off road since we use most of it in our trucks...don't need those problems from the DOT

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, I don't see the point of onsite fuel at all then if your going to use it in your truck.

Unless you have a nice shop and you put a 1,000 gallon tank and a pump in, that would be real nice.

9. qps

from Indy

In the process of building a 4000 sf building and it would more of a convience thing...

10. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget the liability, permitting and issue of maintaining a tank.

BE SURE to have a good water trap (condensation / hydroscopic) and good filter, and plans to clean the tank every so often

New tanks (truck and above ground storage) are ~$1/gal - used $.50
    You can also get used saddle tanks pretty cheap, a rectangular step tank would be pretty ez to deal with

Good 12V Transfer pumps are a couple hundred bucks

I currently don't have one at home, but have in my past (farm life) We kept pretty strict rules for Off-road use. We do have a creditcard 'off-road' pump on the island at local fuel station, but it gets abused terribly, last week had to wait 10 minutes for a guy to 'top off' his 2006 VW Jetta using 'vent trick' (7 total gals-off road):rolleyes: (he spilled, then wiped the car down with windshield cleaner) before I could dump 30 gal into the SkidSteer (>10 min)