on site fuel

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Moose's Mowing, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search but didn't seem to find anything. I stumbled on a 150 gal fuel tank local to me, with a crank pump for 200 bucks. The company I use to get propane for my heating system also delivers reg, unleaded. I didn't call them yet to get a current price, cause they're closed at the moment. But it's gonna bug me until I get an answer. For those of you who use a tank on site, is it for cost saving measures or more for convenience. I have no idea what the zoning regs say for my place, but I'm zoned agricultural/light residential so I doubt a small 150 gal tank would be an issue. I'm a solo operation so 150 gallons outta last me awhile for just equipment but I guess I could use it in the boat and truck too if it starts getting old.

Also, do most supplies sell "off road" gasoline like they do for diesel? I'f I can save the road tax per gallon, and get a bulk fuel rate per gallon, I'd be stupid not get this set up.....Thoughts?

2. biodale

biodale LawnSite Member

You won't save anything on the fuel. Its a convenience issue. Just be sure it is save from theft. Locks won't stop the theft. Have the tank where it can be seen from the house. Spills might be a problem for you since you won't have secondary containment. You might want to think twice before you do this.

3. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, well, I just called them. $3.749 per gal on 87....it's 3.47 at the station. can that idea

4. mrlpg

mrlpg Inactive
    from US

Have you considered converting your mowers to propane? The cost is much lower than gas, cleaner burning and plenty of incentives out there for OEM's or conversions.

5. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

A big thing to consider and remember is that FEDERAL LAW STATES ANY "TANK" DESINGED TO HOLD MORE THAN 115 GALLONS OF FUEL OF ANY KIND REQUIRES A HAZARDOUS MATERIALS ENDORSEMENT

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

You are talking DOT, not Federal Law.

Home heating oil tanks are routinely 225 gallons. So long as you don't fill them up with fuel and drive around with them, there is no issue, and the OP's question was about "on site" fuel. Not about a pony tank in his truck.

No, I have never heard of off-road gasoline. But you can still get the federal road taxes refunded at the end of the year. There is an IRS form for just that.
    You just need to keep receipts that show the date, where you bought the fuel, and the number of gallons (price isn't important).
    Just keep separate receipts for gasoline used for off-road purposes. Maybe get two gas cards. Use one for vehicles, and one for everything else?

7. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

this is correct my apologize I was think he was talking about have a carry on tank truck or trailer, but also yes DOT but it DOT is mandated by federal gov. personal experience from timber industry on site e.g. at your shop = saves time which does same $ but not much

8. mrlpg

mrlpg Inactive
    from US

If you were to convert to propane, the fuel used would not exceed the allowable DOT limit and is stored in portable cylinders (like on a forklift) that can be easily switched out on a mower.

9. Where you save the money is not stopping at the station every morning waiting in line and buying all the other crap in the store.

10. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

It's 119. :hammerhead: