on site ph test..what do you charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 28, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well I broke down and got an on site ph meter...very slick...impresses the heck out of mr customer. Got it from Kel Instruments. Cost around a $100. I like getting the instant ph reading and so does the cust. Granted it doesn't do a complete soil analysis but most of customers don't really need to know every vitamin deficiency in their soil. So how much would you charge for this test?...I'm using $20 right now...thanks
  2. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Sounds about right... I have a home test that needs to be mixed w/ distilled water and reagents, so I charge more... $35 per. Just because it's a little time consuming to wash the test vials, mix, break up and dry the soil, ect. If a customer wants a more accurate test w/ lots of details and dosent mind waiting 2wks, they get the lesco test for $45.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I "sell" that service for free.

It doesn't matter whether I could get 20 bucks or even 50 bucks for it. My feeling is this is one thing I can do that I do not have to make a profit on it. Why?

Because, I know I am going to "profit" on what I find and what service I am going to recomend. And as I am walking around the property, I'm sure I will be able to find other things to point out to my client that could use some "improvement".

End of story...just my 2 cents.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I can't disagree more. You are missing out on additional sales and your customers are missing out on having their lawns complete nutritional needs known. Too bad.