? on stihl bg45 handheld blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jul 2, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I need an inexpensive 3rd hh blower. Consumer reports shows this as a "best buy" in their ratings. THis is not commercial grade but it will not be used that much given we have 2 other blowers.

27cc and they claim its quieter than most others (fine by me)

only $150
    has anyone used this model and if so whats your opinion of it?

dont want to spend 250 t0 300 for commercial grade given it will collect dust most of the time

thanks

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Go online to Stihl's website and compare the stats with the bg85, I think you'll go for that one. It's about $200.

3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

go ahead and get the BG 85 trust me

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the SH85 almost the same as the BG85. Only difference is the SH85 has a attachment, bag and sucking tube, plus a great blower. They have plently of power for a hand held blower. I got mine for under 200.00.

5. GarPA

from PA

as a matter of fact guys I did buy the 85...it was 200...and quieter than my echo hh. This is my first Stihl product (other than a chainsaw) ....thanks guys

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

After 6 years our Stihl handheld just died. We just picked up the BG85 today. Still like to use the handheld over the backpack on small yards. Much easier for me.

stihlhandheld.jpg

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We've got 2 bg55's,the only difference between the 55 and the 85 is the tube,you can get a tapered tube for $15 and get the same mph out of the 55 as the 85.Both the same engine.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Dean said the carburetor is different.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The specs do show a tad more horsepower on the 85(couple of tenths) So that could be true but it is still the same 27 cc homescaper series engine.

10. GarPA

from PA

this is my first Stihl product other than my chainsaw. I think I read somewhere that this machine is a bit touchy to start...we'll me and the grunts found that to be true. Only 1 or 2 psuhes on the primer ball, depress the throttle, and pull. THe first few days we used it we were ready to take it back becuase we kept flooding it. NOw we have it figured out and we like the machine.
    I agree JOdi, the bakcpack is too much of a pain to put on just to blow some grass clippings off. Prefer a handheld for nearly all situations